• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

szwab

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to make LED moonlights that can be controlled and dimmed by an Aquacontroller?

thanks

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED is not designed to be dimmable... it should be either on or off, but people abuse them as if they are incandescent.

Anyway, use the aquacontroller to switch on/off the powersupply to the LED. This will do the work. Most LED are brighter than the moon anyway, but if you want something "dimmable," you can have two LEDs and have the controller turn on one at a time.

FWIW, I am not a big fan of moon simulation.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can change the output of an LED by changing the resistance on the + side. As long as you don't excede the forward voltage. You could vary the voltage in, or change the resistance.

B

szwab

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Bingo

I have gotten a schematic for one but it requires a full bridge rectifier which I am at a loss as to where to get one or how to build one.( i think you can using diodes?)

My hang up is I need a something that doesn't use a dc transformer since it won't work with an x-10 lamp module. and I'd rather use leds since they take up very little space.

can you help out a fellow reefer who is down on his luck :(

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused by your problem... since I don't see any issue at all... anyway, maybe I need to explain a little.

a full bridge rectifier is just a monolithic component compose of 4 diodes. If you get 4 diodes, you got one FBR if you arrange them properly. Any electronic book will have it as a classical circuit.

what is the issue with a DC transformer? I think you are confused about DC voltage regulator and regular transformer with FBR that convert AC to DC. All X-10 module can work with a DC powersupply (an AC transfore with FBR). You just drive the LED with the powersupply, and plug the powersupply into the lamp module.

szwab

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help guys.
I was coming up empty searching for "full wave bridge rectifier"

As for the transformer it was my understanding that since the x-10 lamp module serves as a dimmer also, and that would mess up a transformer. If not then I am in business and I owe oyu a big thank you for clearing that up for me!!

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the diamond shaped circuit composed of four diodes? That is the full wave bridge rectifier. It is one of the fundamental rectifier used in electronic circuit for power supple.

0238.GIF

I misunderstood you. I did not realize that you still want the dimmer function, since the X10 is perfectly fine to switch on/off the moonlight's powersupply. Either you stick with on/off and forget about dimmable LED, or you need to some more works. As I said already, it is usually not a good idea to dim LED anyway, but I am sure there are a lot of "tasteless" circuit that I don't know that can accomplish that.

As I suggest already, if you really want to have different intensity, use two LEDs on two separate X10 modules. You will have full (2 on), half (1on) and none (both off) as the three different states.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lumileds, the manufacturer of Lexeon LED's says all their LED's are just fine being dimmed. Their LED's power many devices that require the LED's to be dimmed. PWM (pulse wave modulation) is the acceptable way to dim LEDs, look for a PWM circuit and controller and your in business. Do a search here and on RC's DIY forum for LED moonlighting, theres many ongoing discussions on LED controllers and the likes. Some have been going on for some time now and contain alot of good reading.

Most LEDs or brighter then the moon? I've heard estimates of around 200 lumens for a full moon. Unless your running a 5watt Luxeon, or a bunch of other "bright" LEDs, you won't come close to that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PWM for "dimming" is only fooling people into thinking the LED is being dimmed.

My guess is that for all we know, it could be a mild stressor for fish or other forms of life that aren't always as "simple" as humans. (Imagine being trapped in a glass cage with a strobe light pulsing overhead.)

Might be a bit like stating how that certain product out there that says it's magnets on pvc "purifies" tank water, but who knows? - From what I've heard, mantis shrimp have eyes that are just a little bit better than ours..... :wink:

szwab

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's the schematic I found it was created and posted by playfair on RC:

LEDschematic.jpg

Again with my limited electronics knowledge i can figure it out al but the full bridge rectifier. What does WO4M or equivelent mean? Or if I just knew what 4 diodes to get I be good to go (i think :) )

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, a strobe light to kill my mantis, haven't tried that yet :D .

True PWM is fooling us, but so are almost all things electronic. I never really thought about its effects on any tank inhabitants as it does such a good job fooling me, great yet another thing to consider, thanks :? . I've always wonderred about the effect of noise from fans, powerheads and the likes on our tank inhabitants. It would drive me crazy!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty far out there to kill anything, but yeah, I've wondered the same thing for a long time. It's another reason I prefer MH over CF.. I can't look at a MH on full burn without significant pain (at the least) whereas a CF doesn't seem all that bad.

Blue Jester

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't quite understand why it is you don't believe a LED can be dimmed?

As mentioned before: The led will be brighter with a higher voltage, dimmer at a lower voltage, therefore, if you put a larger resister in series, or a variable resister, then this would accomplish the task.

If you've ever charged a battery on a submarine you'd see this in action. As the battery voltage goes up, the LED's get brighter and brighter... Then you secure the charge, and the lights get dimmer as voltage drops.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, as an avionics tech working on ASW helos, I hunted subs.. :wink:

Yes, LED's can be dimmed in a number of ways, the point is that they weren't designed to be used that way.

Some goes with processors, they weren't meant to be overclocked either but there are people out there doing it. It's just a matter of choice.

down&dirty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to toss in the 2cents of a EE....

Nothing that is used in electronics was designed to do what it does. We just got real luck and can do many things with a single device. I also don't understand why PWM is such a bad idea. If you use a drive frequency of over 10,000 hertz (10000 flashes a second) I don't see how anything could tell the difference. I am personally going with the idea of 1 LED is not as bright as 2 and made my moonlight with 6 LEDs arranged in a circle. I am planning on using some common casting epoxy to epoxy the entire circuit into the shap of a half-circle. Something like you see with all those scorpion paperwieghts. This is just to protect the thing from the salt and water. I have seen then made as bars also and you can't tell, but I want to be different. My initial prototype has been running on the tank and looks great. I am waiting to finish the design of a timer circuit to simulate the phases of the moon so that I can use the dimmable nature and really start to reproduce nature.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: