• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a check valve on my GenX2400 return pump from the sump. I keep hearing how bad these are and how they will eventually fail. Since I'm a total newbie when it comes to plumbing I'm asking you guys for help.

What are my alternatives?

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your setup, you maybe able to replace the check valve with an anti-siphon device (a hole above the water line) or by alterating your plumbing setup.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used check valves. A hole in the pipe above the water line, as indicated by Tangirl works just fine. Test of course!

Jim

Aquadude

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure that you make cleaning that hole part of your maintenance schedule. If it plugs up you've got some serious mop-up work. I have used the wye valves in the past. They work great in my opinion. Never had a leak in one of those. I still have 2 from my old tank setup. I don't use a sump anymore.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to shadow this to the DIY forum as I'm sure the moderators there will be able to give you added insight as well.

Shane

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, can someone please explain to me about the how's and why's of creating this anti-siphon hole?

I'm extremly grateful for your help.....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Puff,
I have a small hold drilled just above the water line on my hose coming out of my sump. That way, if you lose power, the hose does not become a reverse siphon and empty the tank back into the sump (which would eventually overflow). As soon as the pump stops (eg.,power outage), air travels from the drilled hole, breaking the siphon. Water continues to flow out of my overflow, until that level is reached, and the cycle comes to a halt.
A little bigger than a pinhead hole works great for my scenario, like about the size of a 4 penny nail.
When I brought up the tank, it was absolutely necessary to try this out, because I live in a condo. The lady beneath me wouldn't enjoy dripping ocean coming from her ceiling. 8O
HTH,
~wings~

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basement sump, so an anti siphon hole doesn't help - there is 20 feet of 1.5 inch pipe that needs to get filled with air to break the siphon. So, I make sure the return is close to the surface of the water, and that the sump can handle the amount of water that will backflow until the siphon breaks.
I also use check valves on the returns because, without them the level the water drains to if the pump is off exposes some corals to air. However, if the check valves should fail, I still don't get a flood because the sump can handle the volume.

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input wings/righty.

I actually had about 5-7 gallons drain out once in the past to my downstairs neighbor. I couldn't belive from just 5 gallons that water was dripping on her coffee table. Apartment manager wasn't too happy LOL.

So if I had a back siphon I would just have to worry about the amount of water that is from the top water line to the bottom of my return line where the siphon would have to break(return nozzle) ? If thats the case I think my sump can handle it. I have a 25 gallon sump on a 55 gallon tank with about 7 gallons of extra sump room just in case.

I will drill the hole as a backup plan though...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Puff,
That's it. But just remember... (I don't know how your overflow system works), the actual test will be to get the water level to the overflow level. I've got about a 20 gal sump myself, which is about 1/2 full when running. Eh.. just test it out.. pull the plug (simulate a power outage), and watch what happens... be prepared to plug it back in if you see it getting to the top of your sump. :)
~wings~

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: