• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

GBryant890

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to put a partition in a glass tank to make it a sump/refuge. I was looking in Home Depot and found the GE Silicone I. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would this work as an alternative to buying aquarium silicone? It said that it gives of a vinigar smell as it cures which is the same as the aquarium specific silicone. Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's fine as long as it's the blue-tube.. If it's red or says anything about being for kitchen / bath use, chuck it immediately (unless you have a project in the kitchen or bath...)

Also, it doesn't adhere to itself very well, so expect some potential leaks at the bottom corners, but it shouldn't be extreme.

Not sure what you'll need as far as bracing goes too, that depends on your design, but it's worth thinking about...

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need for bracing when you add partition to a tank in almost all the circumstances.

The vinegar smell is part of the reaction of the curing process. You can't get any silicone without that smell, AFAIK. But having that smell does not mean that it is fine to use. The issue with the bath/kitchen silicone is the *cides they add to get rid of moldew and fungus. They are not good for aquarium. Just make sure the silicone is just silicone, and nothing added to enhance its property.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the aquarium type silcone when I partitioned my fuge. It is not allot of extra, so I left that it was worth it for the peace of mind.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: