• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on saw blades for both acrylic cutting, hardwood, and MDF cutting?

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone tell you there is a blade for all material with one recommanded RPM speed, he is lying to you. You probably need a different blade for plastic and for wood. Don't use those blades for cutting bricks ;)

Again, I remember James had give us some pointer for the blade selection... maybe he will reiterate it again...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General Saw makes all kind of blades and there sales staff can talk you though purchasing the right blade depending on your application. I bought a model #TLL 10804 thin line "low melt" plastic saw blade. This was the best blade for my application that would include moving the blade from the table saw to the radial arm saw, cutting cast or extruded acrylic. I actually bought the blade from The Fabricators Source, which is located in California and would probably good option for you.

And now you are probably surprised to see that your blade is costing almost as much as the table saw. 8O 8O :lol: :lol: :P :P Welcome to your new hobby.

Louey

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much any blade labeled for plastic, laminate, or non-ferrous metals (brass, aluminum) will work fine *enough*. Obviously some blades are better than others, my fav for the $$ is the Everlast line, but there are many others.
Do try to get the thin kerf so it's not so hard on the saw motor.
I would definitely get at least two blades. One strictly for acrylic and one for MDF, PVC, etc. These can dull a blade almost immediately making them very hard on acrylic (read; can induce crazing) and is the major problem for DIYers when they encounter melting.
You can go to FTM, as Louey pointed out but my advice is to find a local supply house that sharpens blades as well.
An *ok* blade for plastics should run $50-60, a good industrial quality about $100-125. I wouldn't even think about Forrest blades as they simply aren't worth the $$ IMO.
If you get a 10" saw and want carbide blades, get an 80 tooth blade for good all around acrylic work.

The acrylic blades make for excellent cross-cut blades as well so if'n ya wanna spring for two of 'em - is a good choice IMHO.

James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one blade we use constantly at work is a freud combination blade. If it's sharp, it makes okay cuts in acrylic. I've only cut 1/4" with it, so I don't know how it will do with anything heavier. (I'll actually take and change to the plastic blade for 1/2")

the blade also rocks for ply/mdf/solid wood (that's what it's actually made for. go figure.)

Home Depot has them for cheap.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: