• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

never4saken

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy or Create Salt Water? New to the reef world, any help would be great. I am still in the reading process, to get as much knowledge as I can. Want to have a succesful Salt water Journey. Thanks in advance

Digiman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have access to pre-made RO Saltwater, I would start the tank with that and then mix your own for water changes. If you do mix your own make sure that you at least get either fresh distilled or RO water to mix with. Not a good idea to use tap water.

Hope that helps,
Digiman

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to make my own water, since I have more controll over the whole process with RO/DI and InstantOcean salt.

For emergeny, I had brought Catalina Water (collected sea water), and I have no problem with it.

Main difference is that I don't need to move those 5 gal. jug from car to the room.

J.Howard

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get natural filtered seawater (like Catalina), go4it. If the place you found it is mixing it, I'd be making my own, unless they will show you complete test results. I know it takes a while for some tests, but IMO mixing water is a big PITA. BTW, I prefer to buy the real deal. I'm gettin kinda chubby these days and hauling water home for changes is a good workout. :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: