• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I use to bond ABS to Acrylic? I am trying to piece together a 6" ABS tube to a flat acrylic base. Has anyone tried to hot air weld these two together?

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think acrylic usually don't weld well by plastic welder (heat gun) for structual purpose. For decoration and other non-water holding purpose, it may be acceptable.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As ABS contains a good amount of acrylic, any acrylic solvent will work for ABS as well. Examples would be MCBond, Weld-on 3, 4, 5, 10, 16, 40, 42, 1802.
You will not get as strong of a bond as you would with acrylic to acrylic as the methylene chloride will not attack the styrene component of ABS but will stick pretty well.
The 1802 (kinda thick) is designed for ABS as it contains MEK as well which will attack the styrene component in ABS. Since it is syrupy, it is rather slow so it takes longer to fully cure, but does work pretty well. Keep in mind that it can be sloppy too, kinda like Weld-on 16.

HTH,
James

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably use weldon 4052...it is a thick acrylic to PVC glue. I will have to look, but I think it also states ABS also.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: