• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

EB847

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I BOUGHT A BASIC RECTANGULAR GLASS TANK (35 GALLONS) FOR A FOWLR. I WANT TO ADD A "WALL" OF BLACK ACRYLIC INSIDE THE TANK TO SIMULATE A BUILT IN WET DRY FILTER. I PLAN TO CUT SLITS ON THE UPPER LEFT (AS YOU LOOK FROM THE FRONT) FOR AN INTAKE AND PLUMBING ON THE UPPER RIGHT FOR OUTPUT. BEHIND THE ACRYLIC I WILL PUT THE POWER HEAD, HEATER, THERMOMETER, BAG OF NITRATE SPONGE, ETC. FOR A CLEAN LOOK INSIDE THE TANK. I AM ALSO CONSIDERING PUTTING IN A SECOND POWER HEAD AND OUTPUT (NEAR THE MIDDLE) FOR BETTER WATER CIRCULATION. I WILL BE USING LR FOR BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION. I MAY PUT SOME LR IN THE FILTER AREA AS WELL. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON DESIGN OR LINKS TO PURCHASE PLUMBING (I THINK THEIR CALLED SPRAYERS?) WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! ALSO, WILL I NEED A SKIMMER FOR THAT SIZE TANK?

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is a good addition, even for a 35 gal tank.

However, it is difficult to add a partition after the box is build, but luckily, the partition does not has to be water tight, so as long as the opening on the top allows you to add the partition (I see that you have a glass tank, so it is usually not an issue unless it got a cross bracket), it is a fun thing to do. However, keep in mind that making good connection between glass and acrylic can be messy, and you may need to get the colored acrylic from plastic/sign shop. Sprayer can be DIY from regular PVC pipe and drill bit.

Oh, welcome to RDO!

PS: don't use all caps so that it is easier to read.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a friend who owned a petshop. He bred discus (and they think we're nuts for keeping saltwater!) and in his main display tank he simply took a piece of rectangular glass about an inch shorter than the rim of the tank and siliconed it into the corner, drilled the tank, plummed it and off he went. A simple corner overflow still in service today. If you look around you can probably even find a piece of dark black glass. I would shy away from acrylic because even though it is great to work with, can be heated and bent, polished etc. silicone does not adhere well to it as it does to glass in my experience. Acrylic to acrylic is a piece of cake. They make a special cement for that that makes a chemical weld you can't knock loose without breaking the plastic. It won't however, adhere acrylic to glass.
That's my 2 cents.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: