• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semigloss/gloss is slightly more durable than flat.

From the inside of the tank, it doesn't make any difference.

From the outside, the semigloss/gloss is a bit more water resistant than the flat. But they're both equally easy to rub off of glass...

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a glass tank. I bought Olympic semigloss exterior something-or-other in a color that I liked at Lowe's. I used a small roller with a very short nap to apply. I applied 3 coats. Don't worry if it looks sort of ugly, because when the tank is lit, the light reflects from the inside of the tank, and it doesn't matter that the paint looks ugly on the outside.

playfair

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with using any gloss paint; flat adheres to the glass much better. From inside the tank, it looks glossy because of the glass.

Rustoleoum flat black enamel works great. Just make sure you clean the glass really well first (use vinegar then water), as even dust will show through.

Spraying is the best way to apply (mask off other sides and inside), but rolling is possible in 2-3 light coats.

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing, though (to me) is to use a water cleanup paint. Look on the label of the can for the cleanup instructions, and use a water cleanup, not paint thinner cleanup. I can't stand the smell of paint thinner...

ScottbytheSea

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to spray flat Black Rust-o-Leum and man I'm in pressed, the beauty I was missing of late is now a thing of the past.

Thanks for the Input people once again if you pick through before yopu do good results usually follow...

Thanks All, ScottbytheSea

PS. I left the DSB visible on the back mear cm below surface to keep an eye on the substrate and its well being or not...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: