• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

WannaBeReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eclipse 6 that I want to use as a fuge, not sure on how to set it up. My sump is a 20 gallon high tank with a water level of about 7 inches.

How would I set up the eclipse to have a higher water level than this.

How would I get water in and out without drilling anything?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is hard to answer without a pic.

the fuge could go in a number of places including the inside of your sump given there is room to put it in there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're best off drilling the eclipse--it's really not hard. You can buy a bulkhead, and get the correct size hole saw and drill it. Then pump water from sump to eclipse, and let it drain into the sump via gravity.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, i agree with Matt.

i will add one little note. if it is possible, i would place the refugium above the display tank. this way there is no plankton casualties before reaching the intended recipients.
this is a minor detail that is not a rule of any sort.

WannaBeReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm, Well above the tank is not an option. :( its in the living room. I also have no room in the sump for it, my main pump, heaters, baffles and skimmer take up all the room.

Plan:

Raise eclipse to be above sump, not much room under there, but I think I can get it a few inches above it for the drain.

Drill one bulk head for the drain and run a drain tube back to the sump.

Then buy a pump with a long extension that sits in the sump to pump water into the eclipse. Sound OK?.

What kind of pump would be good for this?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why tie in to your sump's supply line and allow gravity to feed it?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, just throw a ball or gate valve on the input in case your drain can't handle the flow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: