• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

After about 4 months of reading I'm about done with the "setup master plan" :) (see figure). I would like to hear your feedback on this setup before I build it (probably next week); I hate to learn from my mistakes :).

I am trying to go with a single pump for all my circulation needs (will feed into the skimmer, refugium and return manifold, no powerheads). The idea is to use a single reliable pump that will not leak heat into the tank (or leak less than a bunch of pumps, each for each job). Also, I hope, that one big good pump will be more quiet than lots of small ones.

The skimmer I plan to use is a DIY skimmer counter current skimmer shown in here: http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm and dump my junk seaclone.

As explained in detail in this excellent website, the flow through the skimmer for my 100gal system should be close to 75gph (which will also make a nice 7.5 x volume of the refugium turn over per hour in the refugium that feeds from the skimmer).

The return 1'' pipe will be split in 3 x 3/4'' pipes for the three sections of the return manifold. Many thanks to dow for the great idea of the manifold http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44399 (and of course to Anthony Calfo for the manifold idea altogether - I hate to see the powerheads at the LFS).

In the beginning (1st year while stocking the tank) I'll use the refugium as quarantine: I'll close the ball valve for the refugium return, and return the protein skimmer output in the sump (I'll also add a small powerhead in the refugium. In case I get something bad in the refugium (e.g., ich) I'll just come up with a 10 gal hospital tank and treat the fish in there.

I'll eventually upgrade the 4 x no lights to either 2 x 250 MH mogul plus 2 x NO actinics or 2 x 400 MH, but not for at least 6 months (no SPSs or clams in the tank in the 1st year anyway).

I don't know what would be a good pump as the main pump, but if my overflow can take it (1'' + 1.25 durso pipe thanks for the idea Rich) I'd like to put some 1000gph through the manifold (eventually at 8' of head - 4' of height + 4' of manifold stuff) plus the mentioned 75gph through the skimmer. I would love to hear your recommendations, as there are lots of options on the market (some pure junk as far as I heard).

Thanks a lot for your time and advice,
Mihai

Attachments

• setup.gif
    setup.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 674

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to comment that it is very difficult to setup the protein skimmer if you use the pump for both skimmer and return. IME, it is far easier if you have a delicated pump for the skimmer.

The overall plumbing looks good, excepts these:
If the ball valves are inside the hood, three of them can give you some shadow, and difficult to access. Howabout another union on the 1" overflow to the sump?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good comments above, but overall, IMO your setup looks very good and well thought out - nice job.;) There are some really good pumps in the size range you're looking at...

Iwakis are notoriously the most reliable pumps in the hobby (although not the quietest).

Another good option, although they're relatively new in the hobby are the Blueline pumps (Premium Aquatics is now carrying these).

Mak4s have a good reputation for reliability as well and are very energy efficient, but like the Iwakis are fan cooled and not the quietest pumps.

Gorman-Rupp makes excellent pumps and I believe they have something in this size range as well. Not cheap, but possibly the highest quality pump in the hobby.

The CSL Velocity pumps are ultra quiet, but will heat the system somewhat. Their long term reliability doesn't seem to be as good as the other pumps mentioned above.

BTW, if you haven't noticed it already, check out our pump selection guide in the library.

HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer of course won't be able to fit under the tank, as it will probably end up being around 6 feet tall.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot Chris, I'll make my homework starting from your list.

Yup, I know that the best skimmers are tall.
However, I don't know what makes you say that it will "end up tall"... It will really be as tall as I want to make it: if I want it efficient it will be tall. If I want it less efficient it will fit under the tank. In either case it will probably discharge in an external container (as I'm lazy :) ). If it's taller than 2' it will probably be 5' tall to be able to reach it through the canopy :). The good news is that with a good pump it will not matter as there will be enough power to push it 6' if need be.

Anyway, what worries me is the
as it will probably end up being around 6 feet tall.

This implies that there is a design parameter that I'm missing. Help please...

Thanks,
Mihai

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mihai":18j3mwdk said:

The skimmer I plan to use is a DIY skimmer counter current skimmer shown in here: http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm ...

Mihai

Snailman talks about the reaction chamber being 4 -5 feet tall. With a collection cup on top you could be pushing 6 ft. Since snailman doesn't recommend less than a 28" reaction chamber, it is unlikely that a skimmer based on his web site is likely to fit under a typical stand.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I missed that... OK, then it will be tall :).
The only trick is to be able to change the airstones without flooding the family room every time I do it.

Taikonaut, why do you say that it's easier with a separate pump?
I have a ball gate to allow me to control the flow. I can only see advantages for the single pump design (reliability, heat, power, etc.)

Thanks,
Mihai

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll copy this in the DIY forum as well. Sorry Chris/Dan :P CK made me do it (in spirit that is)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: