• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I'm moving into a sublet this summer, so I've got to combine tanks. My 15 and my 10 will be going in a 20h I've had around. Yesterday I drilled it and built a Durso standpipe. Today I went to the plastic shop and got 1/8" blue for the overflow. It turned out great! Then I wen to Lowes (a New one just opened up by me) and I Have to say that Lowes kicks HD"s Butt in the 'way cool plumbing parts' department! (They had a 1/2" full union ball valve for under $6!)

enough of my yappin, here's some pics!

B

Attachments

• durso.jpg
    durso.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 982
  • overflowback.jpg
    overflowback.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 984
  • overflowfront.jpg
    overflowfront.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 984
A

Anonymous

Okay, need some advice!

I'm going to have a mag 7 with a scwd. One inlet will be in the upper left corner. That's the easy part. I'm debating on how to plumb the other inlet- the right side.

I want to keep the bulkhead in the overflow if possible. So I've came up with two versions: One on the bottom, close to the first hole, or the second up on the back wall, above the durso. What do you think?

B

Attachments

• inopta.jpg
    inopta.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 977
  • inoptb.jpg
    inoptb.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 978

Rainman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both look great, although I would be tempted to go with the second one, for some reason. *edit: or maybe the first, whatever will be simplest and give the best flow*

When I built my durso standpipe, I didn't glue the standpipe itself into the bulkhead. Instead, I just used a bit of plumbers tape and twisted it in there.

I tested it to make sure that in a blackout the volume in the overflow won't 'leak' down into the sump (just in case). Originally this was all by accident, but it has turned out to be a GREAT move. Now, when a blennie or gobie jumps in there (as they sometimes do when they are new to the tank as the overflow doesn't have any 'teeth'), or when it needs cleaning, this design allows me to remove the standpipes easily and gain access for cleaning and critter removal that would be otherwise impossible.

Just something to consider that might help others...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainman,

Thanks for the advice. I haven't glued the durso from the T down. I was debating on where to make it removable. Problem solved!

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diamond core bit Made just for glass. The glass shop wanted $40 to drill my old 30 gallon sump. The bit was less than that.

I got mine from Ameriglass.com. I used a 1 3/4" for a 1" bulkhead. Check the size of the bulkhead you want to use before you buy the bit.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: