• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for inexpensive acrylic to try and make my own sump for the first time. All the stuff they have at my local HD or lowes is extremly high priced if they even carried 1/4" to begin with.

Anyone ever find a place to buy acrylic from? Online preferably, that was priced just right?

-puff

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be wary of buying acrylic solely based on price. Some of the cheapest acrylics on the market are so because of an inferior quality which can make them very hard to glue. This can leave a rather sour taste for the whole things which we'd rather not see :)
While I'm not saying buy the best on the market, as for a sump there's no need, but do buy good quality material - you'll simply have a much better time of it.
Name brands to look for:
Polycast
Cyro (Acrylite GP or FF)
Plexiglas (G, GM, or MC)
Lucite (L, CPX, CP)

If you buy one of these brands, you'll at least be getting good quality material yu can count on.
As CK indicated, you might wish to find local sign or plastic shops and depending on the sizes you need (if they are small enough), they may be able give a good deal as they might be considered scrap by them. I know I do this all the time.
For pricing, you can prolly count on paying somewhere between $3-6/sq ft for 1/4", pricing on acrylic (like all things) will vary with brand, type, and where you buy it.

HTH,
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a local TAP plastics that sells scrap for a dollar a pound.

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to attempt to make my own custum sump for my 55gallon.

I have not yet found anyone localy. Since i'm building an entire sump I am assuming I would need a few good sized pieces. If you have something in mind let me know :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: