• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reefNewbie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything that I need to do to the mag12 before using it as a return pump in my tank? Reason I ask is because my current return pump has like a screen so that large particles will not go through it. the picture of the mag12 shows its just got an intake pipe. Is there something I should buy or make to cover it like a screen?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually come with a large protection cage that covers the intake. However it doesn't have a sponge to stop debris from getting in there. It only prevents particles over about 3/4" from getiin in there. That's been one of the problems with those pumps for me. That and they tend to not handle back pressure very well. As long as they're wide open I think they're fine just if you do plan on putting a ball valve on it try to reroute the back pressure somewhere else like back into the sump or something. maybe even a skimmer. At the store I have a 18 running a nice in sump skimmer and the whole mobile invert section. When I turn up the flow to the cubicles I just recalibrate the skimmer and thus eliminating a pump and giving me a wide variety of flow rates.

reefNewbie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i will be running it full open so the back pressure will not be a problem. I wish it had something like me OR3500, that screen is nice for blocking junk getting sucked into my main tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: