• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

herpsandreefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm designing a canopy for MH and PC lights. For the reflector, can you simply glue regular glass mirrors to all the top and sides and use that for reflection? Seems a lot simplier and more effective than premade polished steel reflectors.
Any advice appreciated
Chris
Also, if the wattage of the bulbs matters they will probably by 150 or 175

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it in a aquarium hood. So maybe other can talk about why this is a good idea or not. I am sure corrosion of the coating will be an issue.

When I worked with mirror in stainglass work the problem always was the reflective coating would corrode (from the acid flux) unless I took alot of effort to protect it.

So, if you plan on doing this seal the edge with some form of spray coating. The stainglass shops have a special spray but just about anything will work(like spray polyurathane). You can mask off the front face if you want. But, just angling the spray will keep the front face clean. The back is actually a reflective coating with protective paint over it; so spraying the whole back isn't really necessary. The goal is to keep the mosture and salt out out of the edge where the reflective coating is exposed.

I hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased reflectors are focused to direct the light downward into the tank. If you just line the canopy with mirror, it will reflect the light around in the canopy. You'll have to angle the mirror to direct the light.

How close to the bulb are you putting the mirror? Can the glass take the heat? What about the glass heating up and then getting splashed by some water?

For the time it will take to get right, safe, and protected (good points FL) you can drop a few more bucks and buy a pre-focused one.

Just my .02
B

Johnsteph10

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I did! Built a canopy/hood, 3/4 inch exterior plywood top with appropriate water proofing and painting, hinged it, and screwed a premade reflector in place so that I could lift the top up and have access to the bulbs, sockets, etc. Works great!

John

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: