• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ruski

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am helping my cousin with his first reef tank. He is moving into a new house and he wants to put the tank over a gas fireplace that is a room divider with columns on both sides. over the fireplace there is a shelf that is 48*33,this is where the tank is to go. The flue runs through the right column. He said he ran the fire for 30 min and the shelf was still cold. He has add supports under the shelf for the weight of the tank. I still don't think this is a good place for the tank just due to the fireplace. Thought it would look nice. I cant get the pic of the fireplace to post, If you want to see give me your e-mail and I send it to you. Please let me know what you think,
Ruski

Attachments

• genimage.jpg
    genimage.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,437

fishymike

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the sump going to go? I would assume since this is a room divider that he will want the overflows on the side of the tank, and all the equipment in a sump, out of the way.

It could be cool to have a tank over the fireplace, but I probably would not do it myself, it all depends on what he wants to keep. If he wants SPS and goes with MH lights, usually keeping temps low without a fire under the tank is hard enough. ;)

Make sure he takes lots of pics if he does it. Always good to see the construction process.

Mike

ruski

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies and addvice. All the things said have been concerns of mind. I talked to my cousin and expressed the replies. He still has his mind on doing it. With this in mind I'm leaning towards a closed system something like the berlin system slapping the tank full of Lrock and a good Protein Skimmer (hanging on the side) along with a refugium(the skimmer and Refug. will be covered up by a panel that will go on both sides of the tank. the size of the tank is 36*33.5*24. Once again thank you for all the help
Ruski

TJG

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well lets see...

1st thing check the building code to see if you can put a tank there. and also check how far you need to keep things that can catch fire from the fireplace.

2nd how much sapce to you have on the left side( you said the right has the flew in it. once again chek the code.) Since that seems like the most logical place to put the goodies.

3rd is he willing to tear out his fire place and rebuild it? bcuz there is no way that it will support a tank.

4th how much does he want to spend(if he says any less then 5k I would say its not really poss to do.)

5th do you have plans for the house?(where are you going to get power? wheres the gas line?)

other things....
the tank should not be made of glass. since gas fire places to put heat into a room( can you say crack. I am seeing a hot spot some where)

thats all I got until I have some coffee

ruski

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The house is beening built right now. he had the electrican put in some outlets. Also he put in support beams, going horz. the tank is also going to be acrylic. He(my cousin) saids that he will not turn the fireplace and he is not going to even connect the gas to his house. due to the risk, and the temptation of turning it on.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say investing in a chiller for at least a 200 gallon tank could be a good thing if he's planning on using the fireplace at any time in the future. It would probably work if he were to figure a method of diverting heat away from the tank via ventilation, increased mantle size w/ heat shiled built in. However that being said I would think it would be alot nicer and more effective to just move the tank to a new location. Unless of course it's going to be one giant cauldren for cooking large meals. :lol: I'd say it's a bad bad Idea.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if he's not going to even get the gas hooked up, why put a fireplace in there?
Just drill holes so you can plumb the main tank and you've got a great spot to put a nice lil refugium/sump!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a vent free gas fireplace, it should not get the to shelf that warm.

When I lived at home, many moons ago, my parents had a vent free put in the living room, and the back end exteneded into my room.
I immediatly asked the contactor if I could put an aquarium on the new shelf in my room. After many years and many fires I never had a temperature issue with this tank.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry with the heat too much: how much do you run your fireplaces anyway? I'd worry with the sump and support. Sump in the basement can be a solution, expecially since the house is built as we speak (write). Support... that's a different topic.

M.

Spring

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He says he's not going to use the fireplace, so heat shouldn't be an issue. It is structurally being reinforced, so again, no problem. The only problem I see, is no place for a sump, if he decides he needs one. Other thatn that, I say go for it.

Spring

mark78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan to get into the tank to service and do other things? Looks pretty high up there and near the celing, don't forget lighting needs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: