• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tah532

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered a 90gallon acrylic tank 48x18x24, i have never worked with a acrylic tank before and would like to know what type of lighting ballast i should purchase for a FOWLR tank. I favor PC's but have a question on what length of fixture and how to set it up on top of the tank, do i attach it to the canopy or can they rest on top of the tank itself?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would plan for a canopy or a hanging fixture. Don't rest the lamps directly on the tank.

If the tank is going to be a FOWLR you don't have to invest much in lights. Regular NO (normal output) fluorescents will work fine. You can get good electronic ballasts, wiring, endcaps, etc. for NO fluorescent setups at your local home improvement or hardware stores.

For bluer lamps and things like watertight endcaps you'll have to deal with hobby places, although there are a few regular daylight type lamps in that size 48" long / 40 watt made by GE, Philips, etc. that don't look too bad, especially combined with an actinic or two...

If you want something a little brighter, a Fulham Workhorse ballast and a couple of VHO lamps would be pretty cheap to DIY also...

HTH

tah532

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even having a 48inch ballast wont matter with a canopy being in place as well. Just a question on it fitting

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with NO or VHO fluorescents the lamps will probably be 48" long. There are actually slightly undersized (I think 46.5") VHO lamps available for tighter canopies, but if you're making your own you can size it for the more common (48") lamps. The ballasts are much smaller (say maybe 8" X 2" X 2") and won't be an issue - you can fit them almost anywhere (even remote if you'd like).

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some quality electronic fluorescent ballasts - these run PC, VHO, NO, HO, and even T-5s:

http://www.fulham.com/wh7.html

http://www.icecapinc.com/all.htm

Of course if you're just going with a FOWLR tank and NO fluorescents, a $20 shoplight from Home Depot with some aquarium lamps in it will work fine too. :wink:

I'll move this thread to the DIY forum (and leave a copy here) so you get more feedback...

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reasons for mounting them on the canopy several inches above the water:
1) better distribution of light
2) less salt creep on light and on reflector
3) Less chance of electrical shorts
4) Less heat transfer to the tank
5) UL insists on it ;)

There's probably more, but I agree with Chris :)

fredso2003

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only hobby on the web where you even mention the word LIGHTING and EVERBODY and there broyher has a suggestion,it's crazy I love this hobby!Anyway normal output flourescent shoul do fine 2 40watts and maybe 1 40 watt atinic to get a little blue.I hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in response to Fredso Lighting is such a controverstial subject...each different lighting has its drawbacks as well as its plus's...hence doing a combo you cant go wrong...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: