• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

saltnmyeye

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, has anyone done a diy skimmer. if so how did it work? and does anyone know where i can purchase clear pvc pipe? i want to make a skimmer for a 130 gal. :D

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the NRF mod will move this thread for you... People in the DIY forum will be able to help you out on this.

DIY skimmer works the same way as commerical skimmer, using the principle that organics has a tendency to stick to air bubble. You can get clear PVC by mail, I think usplastics.com has them in stock.

SDMike

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hop on over to www.reefcentral.com and do a search in their DIY section. There's this awesome setup over there using a pair of Rubbermaid containers...

I went down to one of the LFS-s today to check on the design. I figured that the Euro-Reef COULDN'T be that simple...

Yup. It is that simple!

As soon as I get the "Tank Mahal" up and running, I'm gonna go build me one...

M

saltnmyeye

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replys. sdmike, that looks like a simple skimmer. i may try that one. although i built one of these at www.krob.com/aquarium/skimmer.htm tonight, letting the silicone cure. may fire it up tomorrow. i will let yall know how it comes out. it only cost me about $35 so i hope it works. thanks all for the info. :D

Ryan Bowen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the "Simple As Pie Euro-Reef" or the skimmer listed in Anthony Calfo's BofCP are both easy, DIY style skimmers. And in the true DIY fashion, you've got to throw a little of your own design elements to make it "yours."

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: