• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

utahsaltreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice from all you acrylic geniuses out there. If building a tank, would you use a cell cast acrylic or a polycarbonate? The lexan seems to be the better choice as it is tougher, or so I've heard. Any thoughts?

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is often a misunderstanding between the adjectives "tough" and "strong" when you use them in material science. They are not the same physical property.

Anyway, the main issues with lexan is the difficulty in working with it. It is not cheap either. Its physical properties are not all superior than acrylic, so for almost all the cases, it is better to use acrylic.

utahsaltreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. How do you get that stupid freakin paper masking off? :evil: Half peels right off with no problems, but every other sheet sticks and won't come off without a very very very long time picking off small pieces.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Lexan or Acrylic? I only have problem with masking when the plastic panel was left outside for a *long* time under the sun/rain and elements....

Anyway, they should remove easily, but you may want to wet it with water slightly and rub it off with your finger or rubber eraser (not the sandy type!). You may try a solvent, but you have to be careful that it is safe on the plastic... I don't know if nail polisher/rubbing alcohol is OK or not... :?

utahsaltreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just a 3/16 acrylic sheet. I bought it yesterday from their warehouse. The glue on it seems to be much stronger. Maybe I just drew the short straw so to speak with this sheet. Wetting it doesn't work well at all. That makes the paper fall off and then you still have all the glue and paper fibers attached. If you let it dry the glue hardens and you can not get the remaining film off to save your life. That was my past experience trying that anyway.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say that try the wetting method only after you try to remove the paper masking... if that does not work, I guess you need to ask the warehouse people what solvent do they use, or wait for James to lend you a hand on this.... sorry.

utahsaltreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help tangir1. Lexan is quite a bit more, I was just wondering if I could get away with thinner stock if I used it. I'll stick to standard acrylic and ask the dealer what to do to get off the stubborn paper masking. You're right that most of it peels right off.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say that the price/strength/weight utility function is pretty much optimal with the use of acrylic for med-size tank (90-240 gal). The ability to use a thinner material (again, tough not equal strong) with Lexan does not give you much benefit for the extra hassle.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
utahsaltreefer":1x2s598f said:
Looking for advice from all you acrylic geniuses out there. If building a tank, would you use a cell cast acrylic or a polycarbonate? The lexan seems to be the better choice as it is tougher, or so I've heard. Any thoughts?

Cell Cast all the way.
While Lexan or any other polycarbonate has some good qualities - it's generally not suitable for aquaria for a variety of reasons.
1) Since it's a softer plastic, it will scratch much easier than acrylic
2) Since it's a softer plastic, it will bow much more than acrylic
3) While it can be glued together, the joints generally will not stand up over time and pressure. Ie., the solvent doesn't "bite" as well as it does with acrylic.
4) It's not nearly as clear as acrylic
5) It's more expensive than acrylic

That said, building tanks from polycarbonate can be done, but it's just not adviseable and given the choice between the two - a good quality cell cast is the way to go. (Plexiglas G, Polycast, Cyro Acrylite GP)

The paper can be removed with Goof-Off or the like, or spray alcohol on it and let it dry - this usually helps quite a bit.

HTH,
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one trick I've learned with the paper is to roll it off. If you can get one edge up, wrap it on a mailing tube, piece of pipe, or something round. then roll the tube along the plastic, and the paper will come off easier, and smoother.

also, Industrial Plastics here in NYC sells release for the paper. That's the easiest way.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: