• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JustReefIt14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have any suggestions for building a stand and canopy for this tank?

Attachments

• 180aqwide.jpg
    180aqwide.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,436

JustReefIt14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats wrong with the tank? i was kind of skeptical about the top of the tank at first and wondered how i would get lights on it. if possible do you have any suggestions on where i could get a quality tank of that size?

tenshi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see you don't own the tank yet. Your just getting your plan together, right? There's nothing wrong with the tank that I can see. Actually, I've been thinking I might use GlassCages.com to build me a 96"x24"x24" tank for my new home that I'll hopefully get this year. I just haven't been able to find anyone that owns one. As to the lights I would just mount them on the inside of a canopy.

JustReefIt14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh great! i couldnt find any other website with a tank like this one and i really like it. it seems like i could do so much with it dont you think?

tenshi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to them once and asked them about drill it and making some overflows for me. At the time they said they'd be glad to drill it for me! As to the overflows they wanted to make it out of glass and then cover the glass overflow with a black arcrylic. They said they had no way to gluee arcrylic to glass very well, but the Oceanic Sytems tank do, so I'll have to find a way to do it myself.

JustReefIt14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were they going to do it for free? my lfs can do it but i forgot how much they charge. that would be so much better than me doing it myself.

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack your thread, Justreefit, but I really want the 60g square tank that they have for $150. 24x24x25. That will be my pride and joy when the wife and I finally find our new home.

JustReefIt14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that could and would be great if you set your heart out to do so. but my heart wants to much and a 180 is what i really have my mind set on it. most of the time i always get what i want and if it means saving for two years or more hey ill do so! :wink:

tenshi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weren't going to do it for free and honestly I don't have the price anymore. I think it was like ten dollars per hole. They were nice enough to reply to my email quite quickly about 6 months or so ago. So if I was you, I'd try to drop them a line and see whats up.

Does anyone already own one of their tanks?

bryant

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to home depot found 2 stock 36" unfinished cabinets w drawers and enough room for sump.I used 4x4 post in each of the corners then took off the particce board back and used mdf in its place make sure to also to brace under the floor of cabinet you could make a frame out of 4x4 for that. screwed the cabs together then cut out the common wall to make the base into 1 big cabinet then took 3/4 mdf and made a top to distribute the weight across the entire cabinet. make sure you fill the space when joining the cabs together and brace any corners with the 4x4s. the canopy is 3 10" wide oak boards joined with stainless screws at corners and a crown moulding at the top and a trim moulding at the bottom I will have to get pics up it is an easy and verry attractive stand since it is under 400 for all and its furniture grade

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the glasscages tanks. Very well build and great price! I have a 240 and 175 from him. If your heart is set on a 180, look at the 240 first, 60 more gallons and only a few inches wider. I built my stand for the 240 out of 2x6, 2x4 and 3/4" plywood this stand sits inside the fish room so it is not pretty, just well built, the tank is seen through a 2x6' opening in the wall from the living room. The 175 stand was made out of 2x4, 3/4" plywood and 1/4" finished plywood. This stand comes out on the wall 3'. The tank is 1.5' out then 1.5' of end table. I used the 1/4 inch stuff and trim to make it look like a piece of furniture. Of course you seal the wood about a 100 times, but what a lot of people don't think about is caulking the seams, and over the screw heads. Not a drop of water will penitrate this coating.

tenshi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob Top":16181c7f said:
I have 2 of the glasscages tanks.
So your happy with your tanks then? Did you pick them up at on of the shows he goes to or did you pick it up at his shop? On some of the photos on the website the silicone looks a little sloppy in places, but they're not the best pictures though. What do you think?

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm happy. There might be a couple places that I would like to see crisper silicone, but that isn't what most be look at in the tank, so what's the big deal IMO. I went to a show to get them, he had a couple guys load them up for me and away I went pleased as punch. They aren't Oceanic tanks and perfect. They are well built in that they are strong and lokk good, the price is the best around.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: