• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone ever made a small aquarium stand.. say 14x32 or somthing out of a prefab cabinet? You can get them and home depot and such made from solid oak.. all they need is a top and bottom... maybe an extra piece on the sides..

whatddya think?

B.

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Groovy idea and should work fine.. Only setback I can think of could be if the front brace across the top is either absent or flimsy (the one in my washroom has nothing.. the counter just overlaps it) then you have a problem with stability.

I just wonder if there's a cabinet out there that isn't ugly.. I've never seen one. :D

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have some at Lowes that are REALLY plain.. good part is.. you can finish it any way you like...

Anyone ever tried it?

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I hate aquarium stand that is made of particle board. Are those prefab'ed cabinet made of particle board? Watch out for water spill!

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatal Morgana":hhj0v251 said:
Personally, I hate aquarium stand that is made of particle board. Are those prefab'ed cabinet made of particle board? Watch out for water spill!

Yeah make sure you take the time to seal it well with poly. That way it doesn't swell and rot from spilt water.

The idea is good. Easily available and decent looking. I've gotten fed up with the plain, everyday stuff so I'm hoping to builting my own. Right now though I'm just using the freebee Partical board one I have.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have seen are either made of oak or spruce I think. I'm sure you can get them made of whatever you want.

I may just opt for making my own.. would be pretty to have one made of bird's eye maple or somthing.

B.

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bird's eye is nice. I would pick something more fun though. I do quite a bit of woodworking and have grown fond of veneers (www.certainlywood.com)b/c I can get interesting woods. I am working on a peice for a friend. It will be figured red oak, zebra wood, and walnut. It matches some other furniture I have done for him, but it looks stunning. I love the figured red oak it has a curly look to it. It is awesome.

No you know why I build my own

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: