• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
FYI I'm fairly handy, have access to all sorts of tools via my dad's HVAC shop, and have a fantastic imagination! These things considered do you think I can BUILD a good skimmer for cheaper than I can buy one of the same quality?

I'm new to marine aquariums, so I'm just now getting clued into the inner workings of skimming (quite simple isn't it!). I've seen some plans, but haven't ran accross a good looking plan for a HOB skimmer. Although there are some plans out there please take a look below and see if I have the BASIC concept. BTW for counter current with airstone skimmers how do you get the water in? Do you have to use a pump, or is it possible to create a syphon to the the water into the tube?

If you know exactly where some good plans for a HOB simmer are please let me know.

IS THIS BASICALLY HOW THEY WORK? WHAT AM I FORGETTING?

I know there are TONS of articles concerning skimming, but I'm one who learns by doing... kinda the hard way I guess. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• foamfractin.jpg
    foamfractin.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 958
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most CC airstone skimmer are not HOB type, and they usually either use a pump to circulate the water, or let the airlift do the work (water+air has a lower density, and will flow to the top... see the airlift for undergravel filter, etc.).

I think you will need a pump if you want CC setup. Although not explicit in the diagram, I assume the water return to the tank from the bottom of the reaction chamber?

FWIW, I suggest you consider venturi valve instead of air stone. It is a lot more reliable (and you need a water pump anyway... unless you can think of some other way to circulate the water...) and you never have to make your own airstone from limewood. (But that will be a good DIY project...).

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I pump the water IN.. do I Have to pump it OUT? (if the water comes from the bottom?) I mean, what keeps the water from simply filling up the tube and running over? Is the water suppose to run out free flow back into the tank? Seems, aslo, If I placed an inline pump on the line that goes back to the aquarium.. I wouldn't need a supply pump.

Have patience, I'm learning here :)

B.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAIK, no body is using pressurized skimmer. The reaction chamber, for example, is open to the atomsphere. The ramification of this is that you only can have a HOB skimmer that spill water from the reaction chamber to the tank, or an In-Sump skimmer that spill water to the sump (instead of push up to the tank above). In other words, the water level in the reaction chamber must be higher than the water level of the container that the skimmer dump into. Does that answer some of your questions?

>...do I Have to pump it OUT?
no

>...what keeps the water from simply filling up the tube and running over?
gravity

>...Is the water suppose to run out free flow back into the tank?
yes
>..If I placed an inline pump on the line that goes back to the aquarium.. I wouldn't need a supply pump.
yes, but keep in mind that the pump need to be powerful enough to deal with the back pressure (hydrostatic and "hydrodynamic" pressure due to venturi valve and plumbing), but not too large to create skimmer overflow, overheating, or waste of electricity.

bassman57

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do a DIY skimmer, it wont be Hang-on-back, but i want it so i dont need a sump, do you think this will work???

untitled.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: