• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

clamm

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if you can get these already inside a heatsink with fan? or do you pretty much have to build it yourself.? Do they get very hot. Do they even need the heatsink?

Thanks,

Casey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with IceCap, but just want to say:
Welcome to RDO!

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen IC ballasts sold with a heatsink or fan. I have read on another forum that the ballast can simply be placed on any piece of metal, and that is a sufficient heat sink. Most of the time they don't even need that though, depends on where you put it. If you want an easier solution, check this out, http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant ... Ice-halide
This box will act as a heat sink, has all the connections, and you could easily cut a hole and install a cheap fan. HTH

clamm

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, THAT WILL WORK, NOW DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE SOCKET FOR A DOUBLE ENDED 150W MH IS THE SAME LENGTH AS THE ONE FOR A 250W ONE.

dougc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ballasts get pretty warm, but not blazing hot. I have mine mounted on a sheet of aluminum, which dissipates the heat sufficiently. You can also buy the IceCap 660 heatsink, which can be used with the MH ballasts. Here is a link to the part at OceanEncounter.

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clamm":nqt1s0ji said:
OK, THAT WILL WORK, NOW DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE SOCKET FOR A DOUBLE ENDED 150W MH IS THE SAME LENGTH AS THE ONE FOR A 250W ONE.

I think the 250 is a little longer than the 150, because the 150 was a little longer than my 70. HTH

culdublvd

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 175 icecap ballast and it is almost colc to the touch when it is running. I highly doubt that a 250 would need a heatsink. I have mine placed on a shelf near the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: