• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a prototype, and as always, everything is "under construction."

There are two hinges on the top that enable me to move the reflector away from the back cross beam while I move the hood up. I hope the following pics will show how everything works.

Attachments

• dscn7389.jpg
    dscn7389.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,537
  • dscn7391.jpg
    dscn7391.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,543
  • dscn7397.jpg
    dscn7397.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,541

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two cross beams on the top, and the reflector is attached to one of them. As mentioned in previous post, it is hinged on the other beam. When down, the cross beams rests on the canopy's sides. When up, there are two vertical wooden posts that hold the cross beams in place.

The hardware is brass-coated. I am going to change them to ga. steel later.

Attachments

• dscn7396.jpg
    dscn7396.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,531
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would at least get the sandwich wrapper and plastic cups out of your hood long enough to take a picture. :P

Louey

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrapper and cups are part of the Mortha Stewwart Aquarium Canopy Decorative Collection. You have bad taste when it comes to home decoration :P

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting concept.

Are the back vertical posts really necessary? They look as though they really don't accomplish much. And when the hood is down they seem to be a visual eyesore.

I would opt for stronger hinges be that the case and obviously the galv steel should provide enough heft to accomplish this.

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks spiffy, but I see where Holry is coming from about those posts.
If you want to remove them (I'm usually too interested in what's inside the tank anyways), what about finding some heavier duty locking hinges like you've got?

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vertical posts are there so that the lid can rest on it instead of on the back wall. I agree that it is not looking good, and Rikko's suggestion of a locking hinge will serve a better purpose. However, I have not see any OTS hardware that suit this purpose... maybe a metal chain that prevent the lid from going to far back :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chain would do the trick. If you had a little more room on the back side you could put a block inside of the hood and the metal bar would rest against it when in the up position. Have you considered putting rubber feet on the back side of the moving part? It should protect the wall.

i2ik

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isnt it a little too low? How many inch between the lamps and the water?

I think its a good ideaby the way ;)!

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a low-rider ;)

Suffice to say that it is low enough to melt acrylic cover on top of the tank. It is already higher than my previous canopy, and one good thing about reflector is that it does not change the intensity of the bulb as I raise the height. I put the lamp too low because I just don't have time to add a few piece of wood... lazy bum, I am.

i2ik

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why your lamp is not in the center of the tank?
Adn most have a lot of evaporation at that height no?

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i2ik":13x8ilc8 said:
Why your lamp is not in the center of the tank?
Man, if I post a pic of my self, I bet you going to match it with FBI's 10 Most Wanted List! :D

The reflector is mounted off-center, and only the bulb on the left side is on. I left the other bulb off because it got too hot in the summer, and I don't want to have the chiller on for 24/7. I may leave it that way since I don't think I need all that light on the other side of the tank anyway.

i2ik":13x8ilc8 said:
Adn most have a lot of evaporation at that height no?

Not really I try to keep evap. to minimum. Most of the water lost is due to a clam shooting water out of a opening on the top, and I have evaporated salt all over the back wall and some of the plumbing on the back. It shoots out about 10 gal of salt water over a period of several months before I realize the problem and move it down lower. I top off with RO/DI, and it is about 1 or 2 gal per day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: