• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a float switch to turn off my MAG that is in my sump when the water level raises. This would mean my DIY overflow clogged or stopped working for some reason. Happens about once/year.

Does a switch exist that will detect a rise of 1" or 2" and shut off my pump? I see a float switch at Premium Aquatics that I am inquring about.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

CptnJack

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy electrical float switches from grainger and Mcmaster for a pretty decent price. I have been "tinkering" very recently with a few ideas and perhaps my stuff will help you.

Keep in mind, float switches can be purchased to "turn on" or "turn off" and some (like the ones shown here) can be set for either by simply turning the actual floating barrel over.

Mine is a bit of an elaborate prototype as I will be mixing kalk as well, but take a look.

Also, think about a relay so potential voltage leak is low instead of 110.

http://www.sea-quatics.com/topoff

Hope this helps...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be sure the relay only has low DC voltages through it including the contacts. Then fires a second remoted relay that has the 120v Ac for the pump. AC pump voltages and current are extremely dangerous should the float switch leak and you touch the saltwater.

In the mean time, you might try adjusting the pickup on the sump, if possible. If the pump starts "sucking air" before the tank overflows, then the tank flood can be avoided. But that also makes the water level in the sump more critical. And it wouldnt work if you have some from of automatic top off.

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pickup on the pump adjusted so it will end up running dry but a few gallons of water will end up on the updstairs carpet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the level controller as suggested by bob and Captain above. Furthermore, check the overflow periodically since many of the oveflow does not happen immediately and you can be lucky if you catch it right away.

As suggest by bob, you may be able to put the input of the pump higher so that only a limit amount of water is pumped. By moving the pump input higher, you may be able to setup so that the tank just have enough capacity to hold the water without spilling.

CptnJack

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated my top off design and added lots of pictures. One thing I should have pointed out is that ALL the circuits I run for my tanks are GFIC. I would never plug in my top off system to a regular outlet.

I built a better bracket, and changed the wiring method from the switches to the control box, and documented as I went...

Feel free to take a look... http://www.sea-quatics.com/topoff

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CptnJack...Do you have a detailed parts list for that Auto-Top off unit it look pretty sweet and I'm in look making one.

Also Very nice DIY page!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jethro":1eb8yi56 said:
I have the pickup on the pump adjusted so it will end up running dry but a few gallons of water will end up on the updstairs carpet.

Just thought, if you are not running a topoff then simply removing "that few gallons of water" from the system will prevent the floods. Just a thought. One way would be to lower the overflow level then return then remove the water from the sump. Again just a thought.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: