• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

manda

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
herro

errm was wondering if anyone here knows weather PVA gel would leach anything into the water in a marine system? know its pretty much safe after a few washes in freshwatersetups but dunno if the salt water chemistry woudlahve an effect, or if freshwater fishes are more resilient to seawater ( i want to keep seahorses, so am pretty worried about contaminants)

thanx manda

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule of thumb is that if the manufacturer does not recommand the use of it for potable water, it is not safe for your fish.

It is difficult to compare FW fish to SW fish since toxicity tolerance varies from one species to another. Generally reef organism is less tolerance to polution than those in the river delta.

And most importantly, WELCOME TO RDO!

manda

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tankies for the welcome :D

i assume they do as we were using it to immobilise nitrogen cycle bacteris for water treatment including removal from groundwaters, which usually get clened for well purposes, or at least intake for water treatment . doent say jack schmitt on the box, came from chemicals company, tis non toxic to humans, gues thats why theyput in in the pva glue.

Generally reef organism is less tolerance to polution than those in the river delta.

yeah so ive heard, homogenaity over many sucessive generation tends to do that to bateriological cultures too :)

actaully part of the reason i want to trya nd use it. it makes a wonderfull support for microbial, so i would hope also macro, cultures. just wondered if anyone had heard of its use, or spilt some pva in their tank by mistake or sommet and hoepfully not lost anything.

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the chemical/material safety data sheet (see if you can find it from the manufacture or on the web), and see if it has any weird effect on aquatic life.... :?

manda

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tankies cunning plan.

did do for my cosh assesmnt dont remebr anything about aquatic life, being in it, was sure it was safe enuf to use in freshwater tank.

will look up again, cheers

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they claim it is safe for freshwater, it should also be fine for saltwater... unless it is a composite plastics with copper/brass embedded in it (I can't rationalize any reason for such exception, but just want to make sure I can climb out of the hole in case I mess up).

Its probably going to make me sound silly to ask at this point... but what the heck is PVA stands for :?

manda

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyvinyl Alcohol

found nowt on fish toxicity, but think may well giv it a try, the crosslinking is very strong, moulds wonderfully, and hoping it will give horsies a softer hitching post + if i mix in some nitrifiers and denitrifiers when i make it should provide some ammonia removal kinda akin to liverock but without the vewable holes, theres been lots of work done in freshwater with them and from what i can see the bacteria are the same just adapted to salt, or vice versa, but slower growing.

will be a wile before i get round to doing it, got a hella lot to do first, and loads more to read, oont know nearly enuf about all this saltwater stuff! but if it works well i'll let ya know, if am really lucky i may be able to tempt ickle critters out of the water to feast on the bacteria when they get thick on the outside and inhibit masstranfer into the matrix. <crosses fingers and takes the red pil>

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: