• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Blazin__

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone on here done this? im thinking of building my own upwards of the 300 gal range... can anyone recomend a good site with some tips??

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind are you thinking of building? - Glass, Acrylic, Wood?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pic's that show's a sump being built out of acrylic.

Sorry, I don't have any experience working with glass.

Louey

[email protected]

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to build a 700 gallon tank. Demensions are 96x48x36

I'm looking at 3/4" glass, but I'm wanting to make sure I know where to put the top bracings.

If anyone can help, let me know.
James

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a good article a few months ago about creating large tanks from marine plywood. Only the front was glass. The real challenges were 10 making sure the glass back and sides were strong enough to support the pressure (I forgot how to do the calculations) and making sure there was a support structure in place strong enough to tote a couple thousand pounds (BTW this was a 900 gallon aquarium now that I think about it). Good luck.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt 3/4 would cut it on such a big tank......I dont think it would be worth the risk either way

big t

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey, that is a really cool jig that you made there. I like it a lot and am going to make something similar. That must make thigs go a lot easier.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: