• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

packman9111

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How critical is it to get every trace of silicone off the glass. I'm using acetone to clean, but still difficult to get every trace off. Is there something better to use?

Thanks - Rick

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Razor blade? New silicone won't stick to the old silicone, so it is important to get as much of the old stuff out as possible.

ilango

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to remove every trace of it. Remove as much as possible and make sure the edges are clean and dry before applying silicone

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acetone or MEK is pretty good at cleaning up the glass of contaminants that might cause an adhesion problem with your new silicone to the glass. It won't dissolve silicone, but silicone cauk doesn't necessarily cause an adhesion problem either as long as you're using a silicone cauk to replace it.

Shane

Bishop1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wire brush didn't scratch the glass?

tank_mod_4.jpg

I removed the top frame and scraped off most of the silicon, but if you look closely... there is still some there... will MEK soften it enough to remove?

packman9111

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was initially worried about scratching, but don't think it's that noticable once it's covered again with silicone. we'll see once re-assembly begins. pics once the project is complete!
Rick

packman9111

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's taken a while, had to order top & bottom frame from perfecto, drilled back glass while disassembled BUT tank has been assembled and is currently under leak test!!!

Rick

packman9111

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll be coming. It's in an akward location while I'm leak testing - kinda hard to get shots.

Don't worry, if things hold (and it's lookin' good) I'll be plenty proud of this puppy! Promise this thread will get first pics, but plenty more will follow.

Rick

topls64

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the best luck with nothing but new, fresh single edge razor blades. Below is a pic of my latest revival, a 40BR that I made into a refugium. Re-siliconed the seams (did not disassemble the tank), just removed the inside silicone.

TIP --
Put down some masking take on both sides of the silicone line. Apply silicone, smooth with finger, remove tape ASAP (while silicone is wet). Makes great lines. Don't futz with the silicone after you have smoothed it - you may desturb the skim on top (that has dried) and make the seam real ugly.

~topls64

Attachments

• fuge.jpg
    fuge.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 3,110

topls64

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIP 2 --
Fold over a little 'flag' on the masking tape. This makes it simple to remove when your fingers are covered in silicone.

packman9111

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!!!

Guess it's a little late for those tips for me.

Latest status
-DIY canopy complete - still needs sanding, poly and install lights.

-Working on drilling the sump for ext pump output. still need to install baffels. (I'm sure I'll have the most unique sump - it's a 72 bow front)

-Used skimmer broke when testing and cleaning - new one due this week.

- still need to build stand for sump.

- still need to run all plumbing to upstairs.

I'm sure there's more.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys (and gals) what do you use to clean up your hands after siliconing. I know a finger is the perfect tool for making inside seams, but I worry about getting the chemicals in my skin. I was a plumber for a long time and I know I have already had more MEK exposure than is recommended for killing rodents :P

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: