• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hi

I have a piece of Acrylic that I want to bend at a 90 Degree angle in the middle.

Its 4" by 9" and I want to bend it so its 2" by 9" with a 2" by 9" part sticking out at right angles

so it looks sort of like an L

How do you bend it? if I put it in my oven over a piece of rod, and watch it carefully until it deforms to the shape I want, will that work??

Are there any fumes generated while doing something like that??

I have a parrot in the house, so I have to be very careful of fumes

Thanks in advance for any help

Bryan

A

Anonymous

MontKei":b071t77d said:
I have used a heat gun to bend acrylic. it seemed to work well.. trick I used was to lay the acrylic over some flat surface with a strait ledge (workbench, counter, chest freezer, etc.) place a piece of wood (2x4 or something strait and flat) or something that wont burn like that along the bend line, the bendline you want being right over the edge of the work area... hold the wood in place using your hand (wearing yardwork gloves to sheild from heat) and heat with gun moving back and forth along your bend line, when the plastic warms up to the bending temp, it will start to droop and you should give it a little push down to see if it will bend down some more, continue heating/bending until you get the bend you want and voila, if you did it correctly, you should get a nice clean strait bend.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks GD

Have a good one

Bryan

A

Anonymous

Worked Great!

It wass for my Parrots Play Gym, and now she has bowls that she can't pick up and dump. The old bowls just sat in metal rings and she loved throwing them around.

it was a piece of old Plexiglas, it bubbled a bit probably because I got impatient and held the heat gun too close.

Now that I know how to do that, I think I will construct some things I have ideas for in the fish tank area

woot!

Thanks for the link again

Attachments

• 133_3398.jpg
    133_3398.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 675
A

Anonymous

Hey, no problem, I'm glad for the advise they gave me too! :)

Thanks for sharing the pic, looks like it went really well. - And for your sake I hope she doesn't learn to scoop the bowls clean anytime soon. :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: