• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DOGMAI

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, can it?

I have a couple workhorse 5 ballasts and was wondering if they would run like 1, 4' 110 watt VHO bulb. Or any combination of VHO lights as long is it does not exceed the max wattage for the ballast.

Thanks,
Shane

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAIK the WH5 can drive up to 128W.. Combine all four leads to a single 110W bulb and I don't see what the problem could be.
I do remember a discussion once on RC where someone went a little overboard going on about maintaing current at the required frequency and that's where VHO and NO truly differ (and then I blinked and realized it just wouldn't get into my head), but I see no harm in trying.
If you connect it and it works, just make sure the ballast doesn't run too hot for you. If you connect it and it doesn't work... Make sure you didn't kill the ballast. :) Though honestly, I see no problem there. The only potential risk I can see is that as the bulb ages its power draw will increase (AFAIK all fluoro bulbs do this) and that may start taxing the ballast.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: