• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I am looking for ideas to dress up the canopy I am ging to build for my 24" cube. I got the structeral part down, but would like to have it look nice without breaking the back. Please post some pics so I can figure this out.

A

Anonymous

I just used nice trim. I used crown moulding on the top, and regular base on the bottom. Not too heavy (the whole thing is 3/4 oak. I had it lying around) it's a 20 gallon.

only thing is I forgot to cut a door!

B

Attachments

• new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,434
  • 525.gif
    525.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,432
A

Anonymous

Nice, that is the kind of ideas I am looking for. And I ment bank.

A

Anonymous

I'll eventually be building a webpage showing phases of construction. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

BTW, all the trim for the whole tank was around $50 I fugured it more than doubled what I had into it already.

Solid oak trim isn't cheap! The trim that's around the tank (both top and bottom) was around $2.75 per foot. I sometimes wish I didn't like real wood so much. . . Pine is so much cheaper!

PS, I built the whole thin with a circsaw, router, and a biscuit jointer.

B

A

Anonymous

Any other ideas. I would like to see some shots of black stands and hoods. My wife would like to have the stand match the furniture. We have black tables and entertainment center.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a buyer lined up when you PMed me. I shipped them out today. Sorry I did not respond.

BubbaDude

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pictures of my stand and canopy. It's made out of teak wood, with a solid frame and veneered panels. The canopy has two interior mounts at 45 degrees for fans at either end, and holes in the back for air to enter and exit. In addition to the metal halides mounted to the lid, there are two PC bulbs mounted close to the water.

The lid is european plywood with teak veneer and teak edges, and the edges are cut into a please shape with a router and two different bits. The frame of the canopy is held together with nice, tight tongue and groove joints and Titebond III glue. On the inside, the canopy and stand are painted with two-part epoxy paint that's completely waterproof.

It seems to work pretty well, except the fans are too noisy but I expect to cure that by going to low-noise Panaflow fans.

OK, click http://mossback.org/archives/2004/10/teak-aquarium-stand-and-hood/ to see the pictures.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: