• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason for or against air injection into a fludized bed. If you want to go thru the trouble of air injection, you may want to look into skimmer instead. Basically, use an under-rated water pump for a skimmer, and add some plastic beads into the reaction chamber so that they will stay inside... and bingo! you get a fluidized bed skimmer combo!

Can be a great marketing route... I am sure someone will buy it just like the infamous skilter.

vegita

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so design a skimmer with the lower section with bio balls / substrate that air can pass through and then close it off with a plate (tank divider) and / 2nd chamber in the riser tube for air to rise freely .. and you now have a 2 in 1 combo .. super fluidized wet dry / skimmer in one. :lol:

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling that you just hit a gold mine of the reef hobby... hire a marketing firm, and you will be richer than Miss Weark of the reef additive! ;)

vegita

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be great if it pans out, especially for fish only systems. I wonder if there's a scientific way to test this. Maybe getting some ammonia and cyling an empty tank this way would probably prove this works. Not to mention the saving on at least 1 extra pump and alot of room. ps, who's miss weark?

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch "iss" with "ark" in the name, and you will know who she is.

In case you don't get my winks... it will work, but the value is no greater than each of its individual part, that is, the skimmer or the fluidized filter.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Injecting air into a fluidized filter might cause problems. Air bubbles stick to the sand, and then the sand flows out the top. It's already a problem with them without adding any air at all.

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the type of sand used, you can minimize the "kidnapping" of the sand mentioned above. Beside, you can have the skimmer processed water (de-bubbled) past thru the flu. filter. But, yes, that's a very good point.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: