• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

from this month advanced aquarist:

Unfortunately, no research exists on the potentially positive or negative effects of low amounts of various trace elements in aquaria. Indeed, for many years several manufacturers of synthetic sea salts, in order to provide a complete formula, added or separately provided trace elements to their basic formula (Anonymous 1985, 1990). In recent years, however, this practice has nearly stopped as it was realized that many trace elements are naturally present in low quantities in the major chemical compounds, such as sodium chloride, magnesium chloride and sodium sulfate, used to make synthetic sea salts.

Gee seems like one could just mix up some saltwater using water softener salt (40 pounds for about $2 or so), using tap water, Running the water over a calcium source like crushed oyster shells, establishing a thriving macro algae (no RDP) growth, and just let it run replacing the evaporation. Seems to me like everything would just settle down on acceptable saltwater values. Oh yea they used to do that :D

Just curious. Do you think that would work and if so how well? My gut feel is you would have to add something for ALK (baking soda/wash) and/or mag (epson salts?). Just a thought.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll fry everything. I've seen too many posts about people trying this route and frying their clownfish.

customer: my clowfish died.
lfs: what happened?
customer: i acclimated him just like you told me to do.
lfs: what salinity is your tank? what are your water parameters?
customer: well, I mixed up the water softener salt (or table salt) just like is mentioned on this bag of expensive salt mix you have here and my clownfish up and died. I don't have any test kits.
lfs: ummm....you can't use water softener salt.
customer: you never told me that!

Try it and let us know if you're experience is the same as the two dozen or so other people I've seen also post this. ;)

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D

I can certainly understand how that would happen. Even with one of the very excellent commercial salt mixes, if one would mix up the water/salt and adds a clown (even a week later) then the clown would probably die.

If I ever get my DIY filter ready for testing, this might be a good thing to try. I'll test the calcium buffering capability by simply using water conditioner salt with tap. If calcium goes up then at least I know the calcium source is working. If anything else happens good than that is even better. If alk, mag rise also and a few fish thrive in the macros then that would be very interesting.

Hopefully noone is attempting this in other than an experiemntal setting.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd disagree w/ your first paragraph.

2nd paragraph: Calcium won't go up appreciably due to solubility (or insolubility if you rather) of calcium carbonate in water. Tap on its own will have some minor buffering capacity and calcium levels but not beyond a couple dKH.

If it were this easy many people would have been doing it long ago. :shrug: I personally think you're playing with fire, but it's your $$.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all. will keep an eye on alk and see what happens. That is if I ever get enough time to play around with this :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: