• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

This might be a newbie question, but I'm trying to learn as many DIY things as possible.

Is making a DIY top-off as easy as having a 2 or 3 liter bottle or gallon jug with an airline hose coming out of the top, putting a variable clamp on the hose to control the rate of flow and starting suction and then adjusting the rate on the clamp? Then just add newly mixed water to the top off when running low? Am I missing something? Is there a better way?

B.

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a fine way, but you have to keep in mind that the whole content of the jug/container can be dump into the tank if the clamp malfunctioned.

Check out some Nurce knockoffs. You can use these DIYs to auto topoff.

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of any website with the DIY instructions on how to build one? Or at least a closeup picture or diagram?

Thanks,

B.

E

eruss

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OZREEF.org normally has a lot of good aquarium DIY projects but the site is currently under re-construction. Try doing a GOOGLE search on aquarium DIY. Lots of stuff out there. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good link. I did exactly that on an old tank and it works beautifully. Very cheap too. I used a glass carboy, and a rubber cork. Don't try using anything but rubber for the top, because it probably won't work. It's nearly impossible to get an airtight fit. I also found I had to keep the drip line underwater for it to work. Another issue is that it has to be completely above the sump tank, and if you keep it in your stand that doesn't give much clearance height.

whooper

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new to this forum. So here goes
I only use fresh ro water to top off, not mixed water.
If you use mixed water to replace evaporation you will end
up with a to high s.g.

Whooper

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: