• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fio1022

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to build a canopy for my 55gal.Can't seam to find any style that I like or that fit my needs.
Does anyone Know of any good links w/pics of any diy canopies,I've seen a half a dozen or so designs, but still looking. :?
Jim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to a thread I started showing the hood that I build to match my stand.

What I don't like about my design is that it is too tall. I should have put a front door of some sort on it. As it is right now, if I stand on a stool, I can not reach the bottom of my tank. My arms aren't long enough. I don't have short stubby arms either. :wink:

Louey

fio1022

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Louey,
Thanks for the link.That give me some pretty good ideas to build mine.
What find of finish is that on the inside?I was thinking of using some kind of marine varnish-don't know if it is worth the extra step.Also wan't to be able to remove it relatively easily.
Nice job,looks like it was made by a pro.I have a very nicely set up shop as well.
Jim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I just painted the inside white. That is just for a little more refelctance and it helps to water proof the wood a bit.

I built one for a buddy of mine after I built this one. I made the front cover hingable. so that it could open for servicing the tank. I used a 4' paino type hinge. With the front cover raised, the raises just past the 90 point, so it stays open. I wish I did mine that way.

Louey

UnderWaterTraveler

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my hood. In fact I still have a few minor things to touch up. I built mine with a split top for easier maintenance since I have two 24" reflectors. I am running into the same issue as Louey. I did find one plan where they had two cabinet like doors on the front for access. I think eventually I will add something like this for easier cleaning.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: