• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I just replaced a Sedra 5000 that ships with the Euro-Reef CS 6-2 with an Ocean Runner 2700, and I've just spent the past half hour staring at the skimmer amazed at the bubble output the Ocean Runner pump produces. The best thing about the Ocean Runner 2700 pump is that you can find it online for $50 while the Sedra 5000 with an Euro-Reef needle wheel is $150! I'm surprised you can find a German made pump at such a great price. I was a little bit concerned that the height of the output of the Ocean Runner 2700 wouldn't be the same as the Sedra's, but it turns out to be pretty much the same. The only difference is that while the Sedra has a slip fit 3/4", the Ocean Runner has a male-threaded 3/4". The Ocean Runner's output provides more than a sufficient fit though for the female 90" input for the Euro-Reef. I had to make my own air venturi input for the 2700, but it was pretty easy to drill a 3/8" hole in the 3/4" thin walled pipe that came with the Ocean Runner 2700. I made a hole that provided a perfect fit for some 3/8" outside diameter, 1/4" internal diameter polyethylene tubing. I put a Speedfit valve on the tubing to provide air flow regulation. I'm just amazed and happy tonight that my DIY project came off so easily and successfully. I can only imagine what a great home made skimmer you could make with multiple Ocean Runner 2700s.

1IMG_0168.jpg

1IMG_0171.jpg

A

Anonymous

I have an 8-3, which also has a sedra 5000. It is a bit underpowered, and I've been considering upgrading. I have a couple of questions:

Is there anywhere that has specs on the oceanrunner pumps, like dimensions, inlet/outlet, power, stuff like that? I was thinking that a 3700 might be a good sedra replacement but don't know if it will be too big.

How noisy is the new pump compared to the sedra? My sedra makes an annoying hum that I'd like to get rid of - if the oceanrunner is louder then I can't even consider it (I already have to turn the skimmer off when company comes!).

thanks,

jayo

A

Anonymous

So what about the bubble sizes then? - You have bigger bubbles now right?

Dopler1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefkeeper1 all you did for the air venturi was drill a hole,add the hose and speed fit? I just got the same pump for my ES5-2 and was going to get a kent or mazzi venturi.Your way sounds way easier :)

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oceanrunner is an under-rated pump IMO. When I did the research for a return pump ocean runner came out among the best (the best for my case) bang for the buck.

M.

125gl_reefer

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a aquabee pump for my turbo flotor skimmer that went bad. I was told that the oceanrunner 2700 would be the replacement since aquabee is no longer made. I was also told that it would work the same. The aquabee had an airline hookup but I don't see one on the oceanrunner. Reading your post it seems as if I have make my own? That was the whole reason I purchased the oceanrunner. I am very frustrated because the oceanrunner did not even come with any instructions. Meanwhile my skimmer is working at about 10%. How did you do it?
Jeff

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: