• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DIY

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres mine.. id say it was a DIY but not sure, its about 2 feet tall.. it came with the used tank i bought from some old couples garage sale. it was her sons or something and he moved and didnt take it. got the acrylic tank, trickle, skimmer, 2 used pumps that prolly need replacing, overflow box, tubing and bunch of misc stuff all for $200.

not sure how im gonna hook this up yet (pretty confusing) lots of lines to connect, seeing as im pretty new to the whole skimmer and sump thing ( FW tanks previously ) i have this old wet/dry (trickle?) filter that im going to take the bio balls out of and use it as sump. (you can see just a part of it in the background pic of the skimmer) do you think this would work?

ive had the 50g tank up for at least 2 months now, with only LR (that came with virtually no hitchikers btw) and a hand full of hermits, and some snails. and im just using a fluval 404 atm with a power head. i know i should add a sump and skimmer before i take the plunge with corals and stuff. so im hesitant to add corals and other livestock until i know the tank will be stable and able to sustain the life.

the plumbing from the tank to skimmer to sump and back again got me really confused. ive read literally hundreds of posts here ( just now starting to post even) and im still more confused then ever. and unfortunatly i have no friends with SW tanks that i can consult and go take a look at their set up to see how it works. so im stuck atm with almost no activity goin on in my tank from lack of.. well.. anything. :P

any help with the plumbing or otherwise would be appreciated. TIY

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 369

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi DIY. :welcome:

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan so far.

The old wet/dry setup without the bioballs should work great as a sump.

Can you post a sketch or something of what you had in mind for the plumbing?

Another pic of the skimmer from a different angle would help too.

I'll move this into the DIY forum (and also leave a copy here) so you can get some feedback from our DIY gurus...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: