• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I currently have my calcium reactor regulated on the exit, which makes for irregularities in the CO2 bubbling etc.

The input line is 1/2 flex tubing- is there a valve for this size line that will allow for precise enough adjustments? The ball valve I already have on their doesn't come close...

A

Anonymous

A gate valve would be much easier to control. A needle valve would be even better, though I am not sure if they are available in 1/2". I have bought them in John Guest type fittings for use with 1/4" line. That is what I use to feed my reactor.

summers

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a SMC Precision Needle Valve from MCMaster. They are $12 and come in MPT, FPT, S, Barb, and a cobination there of. I use them on my skimmers and calcium reactors.

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
summers, I think Dan wants to use it on his saltwater, and McMaster's may not be a good choice since I don't think it is saltwater safe. It is good for CO2 (calcium rxtor) and air (skimmer), however.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, what I decided to do is place a segment of 1/4 pipe in between the 1/2 flexible pipe at either end and put a 1/4 valve there. I have a john guest / 1/4 male threaded fitting for either end. Now I can't find a fitting of any kind to go between 1/4 threaded and the 1/2.

The hardware stores near me suck!

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...The hardware stores near me suck!

Sometime, I drill and tap my own fittings :P

Seriously, I am confused about what you want to do... gotta has some other combination that works... Any pic?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm just trying to precisly regulate a 1/2 inch line, since that is what comes out of the pump and what goes into the skimmer.

My solution, since I had some of the fittings, is just to drop down to 1/4 inch, add a valve and go back up to 1/2 inch.

I just can't get from the 1/4 inch male to a 1/2 inch female. Can't find such an adapter.

I'm sure there must be some simple solution. I looked on the harrington plastics site and all I found was very expensive...

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the link in the harrington site?

I have some 1/4 to 1/2 male NPT fittings laying around in my garage. Don't know if they are what you are looking for...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, today I am a man. :lol: Tapped my own! (with ChrisRD's guidance)

Both ends of the line are female threaded 1/2 pvc fittings, so I got pvc end plugs and cut threads into them for the john guest thingy. Now the whole line can be 1/4 with a 1/4 valve.

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DanConnor":30c0fueo said:
OK, today I am a man. :lol: Tapped my own! (with ChrisRD's guidance) ,,,

Hey, who prompt you to DIY? Don't you think I deserve some credit here !?! Chris did not even reply to this thread, for crying out loud!

(yes, I am a credit whore ;) )

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime, I drill and tap my own fittings

Yes dear! Actually I was going to post this quote, but didn't see it in your first couple posts and just ambled off and forgot about it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: