• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dennisd78418

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why won't the water level in my DIY skimmer stay steady? It's driving me nuts! The body of the skimmer is about 4 feet high, with a 3 inch diameter. A small mag-drive pump moves water from the tank through a 3/4 inch hose into the skimmer near the top. The water siphons back into the tank through an output hose at the bottom. I adjust the pump by partly closing a ball valve in the upper hose until the inflow matches the outflow. It will hold for awhile, but after several hours (like overnight) the water level usually drops a few inches. Why won't it hold steady? Thanks for any help you can give.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to RDO, dennisd78418!

Depends on your design, there maybe nothing you can do about it.

FYI, most HOB and in sump skimmer use some level controlling mechanism on the output side of the skimmer to control the water level. In most HOB skimmer, an overflow is used so that water will not go above a certain level. CPR bakpak is such an example. For in sump skimmer, a gate valve, for example is often used. Without your DIY skimmer plan, it is difficult to tell you rather you can do anything about your issue.

dennisd78418

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome! Long time lurker, first time post-er. The skimmer is as simple as can be. It's just a long tube with a 1/2" diameter hose running from its side near the bottom for the return; and a 3/4" hose in the side near the top for intake. Four airstones hang in the tube just above the output opening. The top of the tube is fitted with an upside down plastic funnel, and the collection cup fits over the small end of the funnel.

It works great, but as I said the water level won't stay steady. I have to adjust the level a couple of times a day. Usually it has dropped a couple of inches.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Dennis

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is the skimmer with respect to the tank its flowing into? Is it possible to make top of the tanks water level even with the desired skimmer water level? That'll help prevent a siphon from overpulling.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there should also be a hole in the return line to prevent siphoning... they sometimes get clogged.

Boatwizard

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give this a shot, don't laugh at the drawing.
The "H" is the skimmer body.
The "I" is the outlet pipe.
Notice the "T" in the outlet pipe.
The outlet pipe goes verticle to the "T" then a piece of pipe extends up and acts as a vent and siphon break. Where the pipe comes out of the "T" horizontally is the water level. You can use one of those sleeves with the hand tightened nuts to adjust it up and down. Without the "T" (with the open pipe on the top side), the water will siphon out making maintaining a constant level impossible.
HTH

HHH
H
H
HHH I
HHH TIIII--return water to tank
HHH I
HHH I
HHH I
HHH I
HHH I
HHH I
HHH I
HHHII

johnfluevogs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the EXIT Larger diameter than the inlet? I just recently built my own skimmer and made it opposite yours in the respect of INLET and OUTLET diameters. I built a 1/2 inlet and a 3/4 in outlet or there about. I did this as to no restrict the water from exiting the skimmer and my water level seems to stay somewhat constant. Though I just built it and it have been running for only one week.

It is also a hang on skimmer, not a sump model.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: