• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mark78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of upgrading my return pump from a Mag9.5 to a Mag12 or 18. I would like to plumb them around the front into a U manifold, to push more water at the front of the rocks. The tank returns are drilled, one on each side. The back of the tank is very much hard plumbed, so each pump must have its own scwd, cause I'm not changing anything behind the tank, just the return in the tank which are currently thier own outputs using locline. In theory due to the scwd timing, there could be times then one pump could push against the other pumps scwd via the output of it, I'd imagine with any pressure the water will go out the easiest path, which would be the returns...but it would still put a little pressure on the scwd, maybe it would just slow them down?

If you were able to follow what I mean, lol

mark78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
return_plumbing.gif

I don't think it would cause any problems, unless the return pump died and the closed loop kept running, that could get messy =/

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do that. I would seperate the pumps. If not planned correctly you could cause some big problems. Also the SCWD would be hard pressed to handle a mag 18 by itself. I had 1 SCWD on my mag12 (return pump) and 2 SCWD's on my mag18 (closed loop). They are only rated for 1000GPH.

mark78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are currently seperate...Thats not ALL the plumbing, each pump already Y's off before it gets to this point, and a valve on each of those to adjust flow through the scwd's.

The more I think about it its probably not a good idea, but I want a manifold across the front and both drilled holes are plumped upto different pumps :/

oh well, thx for the reply.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. Put the return pump to the spray bar and the closed loop to the 2 SCWD's. That way the CL pump returns can be deeper in the tank.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say to split the manifold in two at the middle and keep the two pumps independent. What you're doing is creating a variable load for the pumps, and I'm sure they will not be happy about it...

M.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: