• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Microcosmos

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm about to purchase a MH/PC hood, 4 ft long for a 75 or 90 gallon tank (2 MHs 175w 10000 in blueness and the 2 PCs actinic). The ads for the hoods I've seen say there are two switches, one for MH and one for PC, but I'm guessing that there's one cord and the switches aren't automatic (because the ads don't provide that info and I'm assuming that if the fixture could turn on and off by itself that'd be a pretty big selling point). So, my question to the expert reefers and DIY'ers out there is: is there a non-electrocuting/non-firehazard way to set separate timers so I don't have to push the little buttons on the back of the hood 4X's a day?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What hood is it? Specs? Web site? It may have a seperate power cord for each ballast. If not you could pull the switches and replace them with power cords that you plug into a timer.

Microcosmos

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've found these online: one with lunar LED, one without (direct link is http://www.exoticfish.com/details.cfm?c ... &id=41792& ), another without, another one, this one mentions fans and hood finish options with the moonlight available separately, and here's one more. Some mention separate switches for MH and PC for the effect, but none tells how the process can be automated.

Thanks for the response, Wazzel. Can you explain the process in a little more detail, or provide a link? I have very little DIY experience (I upgraded the lighting on my 6gal Eclipse and used detailed step-by-step instructions to do so). I appreciate the help!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: