• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

firestorm

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Any one know where I can get hold of one way valves ? either as an inline connector or as a T connector ?

I want to split the flow from the DI unit: one way going to a pressure tank which connects to a triflow kitchen tap, the other to a collection tank with a float. I'm not bothered that the water to the collection tank doesn't go through the final carbon filter.

I assumed the pressure tank had an inlet and outlet, but as I know now, that isn't the case, so I'll need to make the flow one way with a speedfit one way valve.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace Hardware would likely carry these. Home Depot and Lowes sometimes have a limited selection as well.

Louey

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not clear from your description where you going to put the check valve... I am curious.

A one-way valve or check valve is a rare item, and I got mine from MarineDepot.com for a few bucks. You can also order them from Jaco or JohnGuest or other RO resellers.

firestorm

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little ascii diagram ..

.......................................................Pressure tank
Mains water.................................................|
in ---> PUMP ---- prefilters ---- RO ------> ------------> drinking tap
........................................................|
........................................................|---> fish water

The DI and final carbon filter are not shown above

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 1st post mentions a DI unit, but your diagram indicates an RO unit. It may not make a difference, but if you are using a post-RO membrane DI unit, then I would split the flow before the DI unit so that only the water being fed to the collection tank (presumably for reef tank top-pffs and water changes) passes through the DI unit. You don't need DI treated drinking water (from your pressure tank, correct?, and it will extend the life of your DI cartridge.

However, if you do use the above set-up, then I agree that you should include a check valve in the line between the point where you split the flow and the pressure tank (but obviously ahead of the 2nd split leading to the kitchen sink tap). This will prevent pressurized water from your pressure tank from back-flowing through your DI unit, which if flows too quickly, will screw up your DI unit.

Of course, if you are not using a DI unit, then ignore everything I said above. :)

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...The DI and final carbon filter are not shown above ...

The font messed up your ASCII diagram... I don't know how in the world milz can make out what you try to show... I am not 100% sure, but I think milz's comment is relevant to your setup. Use two tees (cheaper than a cross) and split the RO output to the pressure tank, the faucet, and the DI filter. The output from the DI filter will go to the fish tank.

You may want to use a ball valve or something to slow down the water going thru the DI if you are concern about contact time or resin destratification.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatal Morgana":g3afxlvw said:
>...The DI and final carbon filter are not shown above ...

The font messed up your ASCII diagram... I don't know how in the world milz can make out what you try to show... I am not 100% sure, but I think milz's comment is relevant to your setup. Use two tees (cheaper than a cross) and split the RO output to the pressure tank, the faucet, and the DI filter. The output from the DI filter will go to the fish tank.

You may want to use a ball valve or something to slow down the water going thru the DI if you are concern about contact time or resin destratification.

Yep. That is why I use a check valve. There are flow regulators that will also accomplish the same thing. The flow rate through the DI unit should generally not exceed the flow rate of your RO membrane.

firestorm

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked on the john guest website, I can only find 15mm check valves, which are no good for 1/4" pipes.

I do have a DI and carbon post filter. There is a checkvalve after the RO membrane, but it is the type which screws into the RO membrane canister.

So I'm still looking.

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused. Is the valve for flow restriction, or for flow direction?

I have both, and they are available for 1/4" tubing. Let me know which one you are talking about, and I will try to find a link or source for you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: