• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to make a temperature controller as the first step in my automatization setup. Can I find a temperature problem without the controller that I can use in saltwater? Where?

Thanks,
Mihai

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He need a controller, not a monitor.

>...Can I find a temperature problem without the controller that I can use in saltwater? Where?

I take it that your meant probe? Probe by itself is a sensor, and you need to have an associated monitor or controller to work with it. One of mine is an AquaLogic controller, and another is a modified controller from JohnsonControl.

Chemical_Whore

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AquaSystem 2 controler and I love it so far (had to get the software and the cable so I can moniter it from on the road) but I have it all setup with diffrent on settings for the heaters / chiller lights the whole thing, kinda pricy but I found out that I should have just got the new AquaSystem 3Pro (only available thru there site http://www.neptunesys.com/ )built in web interface and all the goodies. Something you could look into, might be a bit much for what you are wanting.
</endTwoCents>

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the confusion: I meant a temperature probe rather than a problem. So, just the stuff that sticks into the water, I want to read it from my own controller (that in turn will start the heater, fans, etc.).

Thanks,
Mihai

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several different kinds of temperature probe, and you have to make sure they are compatible with your controller. Usually, a controller will come with one when you buy it.

So you have a controller without a probe, and you want to get a replacement probe? Yes, you can order the probe separately, and it is usually about half of a controller/probe combo. But sometimes you can get it for less. Call the controller company to make sure you have the right sensor type, or order it from the OEM.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was thinking of a generic probe: I have a generic controller in mind -> a DIY controller that I can program any way I want it, the heart of my automatization center. In the end will take care of everything:
- lights
- temperature
- monitor salinity/ORP/pH, etc.
- all sorts of alarms (too much/too little water)

And all accessible through the Internet (to send me home from work if something goes very wrong).

So, it's custom made, and I was hoping for a generic probe that I can connect to this controller. From your answer I gather that there isn't such a thing (or you're not familiar with it).

M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently there are several types of temperature sensor. It goes from the cheapest thermoresistor type to the high end bimetal type with exotic metal. Each type has a specific resistance vs. temperature curve, and the controller need to be calibrate to the curve. If your controller has the ability to deal with non-linear curve, then you can pretty much use most of the temperature sensors out there. There are only three types commonly used.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Box Etc":ub9pbm8w said:
Currently there are several types of temperature sensor. It goes from the cheapest thermoresistor type to the high end bimetal type with exotic metal. Each type has a specific resistance vs. temperature curve, and the controller need to be calibrate to the curve. If your controller has the ability to deal with non-linear curve, then you can pretty much use most of the temperature sensors out there. There are only three types commonly used.

Thanks a lot, that's more along the lines of my question. Since I'll program the controller myself I can do whatever curves I please (linear or not). Now for the specifics: where can I find those probes, and which one would be enough for me? I'm not looking for super-precision: I'd like the precision to be better than one degree F, but clearly not more than a tenth of a degree...

Thanks,
Mihai

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For thermoresister, you can get it for a few bucks from RadioShack. Just epoxy it in potting compound, and use marine-grade wire. The accuracy is about 2-3 degree, but you can get your controller to print out something like 78.56 F and give you a good sense of precision and accuracy ;)

I have a spare probe for JohnsonControl, and it that it is PTC type. It is stainless steel, but not marine-grade. PM me if you want to test your controller with it, but you can get a marinegrade probe from any reef hardware store such as MarineDepot, for example. The accuracy of these probe is between 0.1 to 0.5 F, which is good enough for most reef application. Cost is between $25 to 75.

For 0.1 and better accuracy, you need to pay a bit more, but typically it is less than $100 for temperature probe unless you want to use microbolometric and IR camera for temperature sensor.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Box Etc":1g4hp0z1 said:
For thermoresister, you can get it for a few bucks from RadioShack. Just epoxy it in potting compound, and use marine-grade wire. The accuracy is about 2-3 degree, but you can get your controller to print out something like 78.56 F and give you a good sense of precision and accuracy ;)

Nah, I'll have to implement a random number generator for this (to give me the ilusion that it tracks temperature changes in the tank :).

I have a spare probe for JohnsonControl, and it that it is PTC type. It is stainless steel, but not marine-grade. PM me if you want to test your controller with it, but you can get a marinegrade probe from any reef hardware store such as MarineDepot, for example. The accuracy of these probe is between 0.1 to 0.5 F, which is good enough for most reef application. Cost is between $25 to 75.

This sounds reasonable -> any recommendations for the ones that are marine-grade (I would not mess up with expoy if I can help it). What I'm trying to avoid is buying a bunch and test them.

For 0.1 and better accuracy, you need to pay a bit more, but typically it is less than $100 for temperature probe unless you want to use microbolometric and IR camera for temperature sensor.

Nope, out of question: I'm not obssesed with temperature control -> just enough to make the favorites comfy.

Thanks,
Mihai

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call up one of the reef hardware store (RDO sponsors are good), and ask them to ship a replacement probe to you. Pretty much all of them are the same (AquaLogic, Pinpoint, etc.) so get the cheapest one you can find as long as it is marine grade (I think they are price similarly)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: