• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and unless its a FO tank, its not worth the trouble/can't be effectively done :)

I did a 18" x 18" panel of 100 white LEDs which at night looked quite bright in the tank. Unfortunately when I have 4 55w PC bulbs on and then flipped it on you could hardly tell you turned the LEDs on.

Now if you mean with moonlights, then definately works.

davidharvey

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert yet, but I know that there are a multitude of companies producing all kinds of different LED strands, bulbs, floods, etc.

Anybody else out there know anything about LED lighting used in a reef tank application?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...Anybody else out there know anything about LED lighting used in a reef tank application?

Most application in in moon lighting. For daytime application, LED is still not an economical method unless for nano setup. Nothing beats a MH at this point.

Bishop1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 1W and 3W led's which are extremely bright.. www.luxeon.com

Unfortunately, they are fairly expensive ($9-$15 each) and powering them is also fairly pricey if you use proper drivers.

I picked up a dozen of them on ebay for a couple $$ a piece to play with but I haven't had time to build a power supply for them. The nice thing is you have a great deal of control over their output so you can dim up/down along with shutting off portions of them to simulate cloud cover/motion...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: