• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

packman9111

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At lowes the have:
brass coated strip hinge
zinc
brass

What works best for the inside of the canopy

thanks - Rick

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 4: go for stainless steel.

There's lots of different types of hinges. I use stainless steel when I can get them. The lowes by me (brooklyn NY) has stainless steel piano hinges. I also have a pair of Soss barrel hinges, but they're brass.

Brass isn't really a good option because its copper content. If you can't find stainless, go for the zinc ones, and just keep them wiped off/oiled.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some regular door hinges. My set up is tall enough where you can not even see them. If they can not be see then it reall does not matter what they look like as long as they are strong enough.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for stainless steel all over the local hardware stores. Not a hint. I ended up building some form CPVC pipes -> really inert and marine grade :). Very happy with them.

M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mihai":28utv9qa said:
I looked for stainless steel all over the local hardware stores. Not a hint. I ended up building some form CPVC pipes -> really inert and marine grade :). Very happy with them.

M.

Hey, would you mind posting a pic of those hinges you made?

I think I might like to utilize that for something...

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pics of the rust-proof hinges.

It's not a big deal: CPVC pipe in an adapter (the wood dowel ensures that it's not going anywhere although it's not likely to. My father's design after looking all over for stainless steel hinges.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 561
  • h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 561
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 562
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually a pretty cool way to hinge a canopy, definetly not something I would of thought of

thanks

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":6jo2uu9t said:
That is actually a pretty cool way to hinge a canopy, definetly not something I would of thought of

thanks

Well, the design was imposed by the restriction that the front does not "flip" open as I have the fireplace in front of the canopy (about 2"), so it had to go "up and away". You're right, I wold not have thought about it either.

Mihai

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: