• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my CY192 and ups'ed it to OR. Despite following packing instructions from UPS and despite the packaging arriving un-marred, the sump itself got broken. According to the buyer, it was crack at one top corner of the sump and the cracks went down a few inches into the side and back. Hopefully, I'm paraphrasing him correctly.

I get the feeling I'm not going to get any financial help from UPS. Can this type of crack be repaired be repaired and stay repaired if he takes some acrylic pieces big enough to cover the cracks and then sticks them on the outside of the tank over those cracks.

If this is a safe repair, what sort of acrylic, what thickness and what type of adhesive should be used? Any advice much apreciated.

Many years of service from the unit and it's a shame if this little crack ends it life and puts me out a bunch of dollars.

I'm awaiting photo from buyer to see exactly what happened.
-Adrian

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just a crack at the top (above the water line) it's easy to fix

Drill a small (1/16") hole at the end of the crack (so it doesn't crack any more)

Glue with some weldon 4. It's water thin and will suck into the crack. Then either use some weldon 4 mixed with some acrylic shavings or some weldon 16 (thickened cement) to fill the hole.

If you want, you can put a small piece of 1/8" acrylic on the outside, and then glue it with the weldon.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":1pcl025d said:
If it's just a crack at the top (above the water line) it's easy to fix

Drill a small (1/16") hole at the end of the crack (so it doesn't crack any more)

Glue with some weldon 4. It's water thin and will suck into the crack. Then either use some weldon 4 mixed with some acrylic shavings or some weldon 16 (thickened cement) to fill the hole.

If you want, you can put a small piece of 1/8" acrylic on the outside, and then glue it with the weldon.

B

That's what I did to repair cracks on pretty much every acrylic tank I ever owned. :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: