• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 175w hamilton retro kit that is gathering dust. It is the 2x2 reflector with a horizontal mountes mogul socket.

any ideas on how to make it into a pendant.

I think i am gonna build a 10-20g tank and want to use it as sole lighting.

I have about 12' of cord on the ballast.

let me know

btw - havent had much money for the reef... had to buy a couple of cars..... that right 2 of them 8O ... so trying to work with what i have!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are halfway decient at wood working just build a box for it to hide in. Include some eye bolts to hang it from the celing.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bend it to "look" like a parabola. I'd say to plug it in and bend it until you most of the light is in a 2' area (or 1.5') at about 12" under the lamp.
If you build the boxes make sure you leave plenty of space for the heat to escape or use fans.

M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built the following pendant (which unfortunately is not currently being used as a pendant) for use over a 40 Gal Hex tank. This pendant is built from aluminum plate that is about 1/16" thick. It bends easy, it can be cut by any hacksaw/bandsaw that you have handy and it is pretty easy to get ahold of since quite a few computer manufacturers are using it for cases since it is lighter than steel. I used a commercial socket and stainless holder for the bulb, but a bare socket and a metal job box/cover from your local home-improvement store will work fine with a little modification. The finish (on the parts that are finished) is Krylon high-temp black spray paint (for Gas Grills, etc)

Attachments

• Pendant over the 150.JPG
    Pendant over the 150.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 461

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: