• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

sompa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do I go to get food grade rubbermaid or the same type of container and how do I know if it is food grade or not?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a cheapie dollar store 15g plastic container from my external sump/refug. Worked fine on my 55g. Cost $5.

FWIW one member of our local club used the plastic storage containers with three drawers. Set it up as a trickle fliter/tower. that way he could just pull out a drawer to do maintenance. He even added crushed coral and his calcium went up. Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...He even added crushed coral and his calcium went up. Just a thought.

Geez, PLB, you never failed to not surprise me. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":1rmhumem said:
>...He even added crushed coral and his calcium went up. Just a thought.

Geez, PLB, you never failed to not surprise me. :D

He was surprised also. :lol:

reference: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... did=476360
Next question--- My calcium was steady between 200 and 275 untill i put some crushed coral in one of my drawers, and 90 percent of my water flows over it. And now my cal stays steady at 500 all the time. Weird huh

WayneL140

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After phutzing with a 20g aquarium for two weeks, trying to put in acrylic baffles, I finally managed to crack the glass. I went to Wal-Mart and bought three Rubbermaid tubs--45g, a 10g or so, and a smaller one--epoxied the two smaller into the large tub and created a very workable sump. The drilled overflow drains into the first where my skimmer is and the I split the drain to supply the small refugium. I drilled holes in the bottom of the the first box so it drains into the large sump for the return.

The only problem I had was microbubbles. Solved this with a piece of 3" PVC I found laying on a construction site. Drilled holes in the bottom and stuck it in the first box under the drain. No more microbubbles.

Whole thing cost >$20. Works like a charm.

Wayne

WayneL140

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 75g Oceanic with one overflow. I'll try to put up a pic or two tomorrow when I'm off work.

The only thing I'm having problems with is filtering detritus. I've got a large poly-sponge in the large bin that catches a bit. I've tried filter material in the overflow, but it gets sucked into the durso. I've tried it in the 3" PVC drain pipe I use for a baffle from the drain, but it blocks too much flow. Got to figure this one out, as it keeps the water from being as clear as I'd like.

The other problem with a setup like mine is using charcoal. I believe it's best to only use charcoal for a few days a month. I'm laying a bag of it in the sump, which is not the best way to use charcoal. It should be somehow incorportated in the flow-system, not just sitting in the water. I just can't figure out the best way to do it. Suggestions would be great on a filter setup.

What I'm thinking about is some kind of stacking system with poly, charcoal and sand, like the old wet/dry filter, draining into the sump, but there simply isn't a of room under the tank, anymore.

Working on it, as no system is ever just exactly right, I think.

Wayne

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: