• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

glaze

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone installed a floor drain in your sump space?

I am installing a wall tank on a 3rd floor of a city rowhouse and the sump/equip. space is underneath. Since I've flooded my house before (badly), I want to superfloodproof the thing.

Any suggestions are welcome. I am thinking of building it up the way you do a shower pan, with a 3" curb, level bottom (for sump to rest on), and a special thing around the main tank that causes overflowing water to drain behind the tank into a collection pan than drains into the floor drain, then into the main waste system of the house.

Added bonus is that I can just empty into the floor for water changes. Seems like more of us who don't have space for a separate sump room would have done this, but I've never heard of it. Anyone?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done it, but I don't see why you don't. Better to be safe than sorry, and who wants neighbors under you to be mad right???

Ah64av8tor

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last house the plans had a bath with shower behind the planed space for my 150. I had the contractor close off the shower from the bath put the door on the other side in the room with the tank and opened up the wall on the back of the tank, instant Fish room. The drains from the tank and sump were protected from floods. I left the floor alone fore drainage and tapered 2 X 4s to level the sump. This worked out real well I just hosed down the floor when it got dirty, and it did a lot from salt creep, dripping hands and the occasional leak in setup / fine tuning . You will need to keep water in the trap so to not get sewer gasses coming up through a dry trap. I would do it again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: