• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

RWillieK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of going with a sump again on my 40L to move my internal skimmer and heater out of the tank, and to add some water volume.

I made one a while back with some Lee's boxes...the ones the LFS nets fish into. The one I made used a tube to flow water from one side to another, I ran two of them for a while. Problem was a friend watching the tank pulled them out while on vacation, and so flooded the floor with 20 galons of water.

I am thinking about building a CPR type over flow so I don't have to worry about tubes and such. But I have a question about air removal....

I have a couple of majijets in the tank, can I put a small air hose barb on the high point of the transfer "tube" and suck the air out to avoid siphon breaks?

I would buy a CPR, but I prefer to make my stuff, its cheaper and customizable. I want a pretty narrow box that doesn't sit in the water very far (asthetics). I would assume 2" into the water should be enough (??)

Robbie

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RWillieK":3isopvm7 said:
I have a couple of majijets in the tank, can I put a small air hose barb on the high point of the transfer "tube" and suck the air out to avoid siphon breaks?
Never had a maxijet powerhead but if they have a way to suck air in via a piece of airline tube, absolutely it'd work. Just make sure the powerhead isn't too far below the surface.

RWillieK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have an acrylic size question - I have Lucite readily available at the local hardware stores - its pretty thin.... 1/16" thin. I can't seen any problem using it...its fairly stiff, and I'll be boxing it in - I'm copying the CPR overflows to my own size specs.

Here is the plan I'm going with - its a rough drawing, but I think it will work.

overflow.jpg

See any problems?

I'm going to try to bend the Lucite tomorrow and see how it turns out....I just have to find solvent/epoxy for it.

Robbie

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: