• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

r 3lusive

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why. why damnit

just tried to diy a 10 gallon sump for my 30 gallon tank and now i feel like killing myself.
bought to mj 404 and had one for an exaust to the 30 and one from the 30 to the 10 and well, lets just say 1 pump was way faster then the other, water was spilled and gray hairs were grown.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to RDO!

Typically, it is next to impossible to use two pumps to pump water up and down for a sump/tank setup.

You need to drill the tank or install an overflow so that the water does not go above certain height. The pump on the bottom will pump the water up to the tank, and flow down via gravity, not via another pump.

r 3lusive

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks 7 but now im even more confused, if i drilled the tank wouldnt it just be as strong as a pump??? or even the same thing?? and how would i be able to control the flow, so the sump doesnt overflow??

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, you can either use a siphon/overflow (CPR makes it), or have the tank drilled for a more permenant solution. How fast the water will goes to the sump depends on how fast the pump move the water up. The water level in the tank is maintained when the overflow is installed properly. If you shut off the pump, the flow from the tank to the sump will stop after a few minutes. If you increase the water flow by using a bigger pump, the overflow will drain water faster, up to the capacity of the overflow. Make sense?

r 3lusive

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i knida get it now. Hopefully it'll make more sense once i actually start the project again , so if i drill the tank then i wouldn't need an overflow right?, where's the best place to drill it you think? actually i dont know i think it might be easier to just buy an overflow.

Thanks again 7

(my favorite number by the way)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the various option you have for drilling and overflow. Another one I forget to mention is standpipe. Do a search here as well as the General Reef Discussion with keywork like Durso standpipe, etc.

Basically, you can drill a hole on the bottom and put on a standpipe or a corner overflow, or drill a hole on the side and put on a bulkhead. You may want to check out some thread with diagram on it, that will be better than a thousand words.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: